Skip to main content

Mushroom / Sweet Potato / Gouda Soup

This soup is spectacular.

Well, it happened. My beloved root vegetable soup recipe has been ousted by a better version. This one has mushrooms. Lots of mushrooms. It also has sweet potato, gouda, and bacon. I got the recipe from my friend Megan (who got it from here) after we enjoyed it at her place just last weekend. Five days later, nicely in time for a snow day, it was on our table.

As I started cooking, I realized I had no vegetable stock. With snowy roads, I had no choice but to whip up a quick homemade stock. It was easier than I thought. I browned up some onion, celery, and garlic, then poured in water and let it simmer over low with a bay leaf and some thyme. I then set about making the soup, and by the time I was ready to add the stock, it was full of flavor and ready to be strained.

I'm not sure I'll do it again next time, but it's nice to know I have the option.

There's bacon actually blended into this soup! I got a good quality turkey bacon and it added the most amazing richness to the flavor of the soup. A bit of crunchy bacon on top of the soup is nice, too.

To those of you who are currently snowed in (that's everyone, I think) and can't yet buy the ingredients to make this soup, you have my sympathies. Let your Countdown to Making This Soup begin.


The Recipe:
6 slices bacon, crumbled
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 lb cremini mushrooms, chopped
2 large sweet potatoes, cubed
1 tsp thyme
1 bay leaf
2 1/2 c vegetable stock
3/4 c cream
4 oz smoked gouda
salt and pepper, to taste
  • In a large pan, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove to paper towels.
  • Add mushrooms and onions to the same pan. Saute over medium heat until onions are soft and mushroom liquid has evaporated.
  • Season with salt and pepper.
  • Add sweet potatoes, garlic, thyme, bay leaf, and stock. Cover and simmer over low heat about 20 minutes, until sweet potatoes are soft. 
  • Remove the bay leaf. Add the cooked bacon back into the pot, reserving some crumbles for garnish.
  • Blend with immersion blender until smooth.
  • Stir in cream and gouda until gouda is melted. Season with salt and pepper. 
  • Garnish with bacon.

The Verdict:
Overall grade: A+
Overall reason: Smoky, rich, satisfying.
Time to prepare: 1 hour
Husband quote: "This is my favorite soup. Of all the soups."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen renovation!

BEFORE: AFTER: Still to come: a beautiful new induction range and some wood shelving on the left side, above the backsplash. And maybe the shelving unit on the wall facing the cabinets should be green, but we're going to live with a while before making that decision.

Adzuki Beans with Black Rice

I hope I don't turn any readers away by featuring cilantro in my first photo. My current food obsession is black rice. I was first introduced to it at  Sushi Pure . It's purple when cooked, and I was completely smitten when purple sushi arrived at our table. I mean, purple sushi! It was like my birthday or something. Actually, it might have been my birthday, because I pretty much always have sushi on my birthday, but anyway. It's kind of sweet and has this great chewy texture. When I learned  how healthy it is , my crush evolved to full-out love. Sushi Pure's Spicy Tuna Roll (photo from FoodSpotting.com) In my ongoing research for ingredients that are low in calories but high in nutrition, adzuki (also spelled azuki) beans came up. I learned that these are the sweet red beans used in Japanese desserts, including red bean ice cream, which I've been obsessed with since I was a kid. But since turning them into ice cream probably negates the health benef

Cambodian Lemongrass Stir-Fry

  I recommend going heavy on the peanuts I recently finally branched out and tried something new at  Angkor Cambodian Restaurant , and now I'll never branch out ever again because my new favorite dish is too good. They call it Cha Krung, though I've seen a lot of other spellings in my attempt to find recipes. It's a lemongrass stir-fry and they do it with green beans, carrot, onion, and jalapeno, with peanuts on top. The peanuts are amazing in this, but I also really love the way they stir-fry the jalapeno as a vegetable, by removing the seeds and veins and slicing it thin. In my version above I used what I had, which was broccoli, eggplant from the garden, thai chilies instead of the jalapeno (but I'm going to grow jalapenos next year for this purpose), and fresh basil since I found a lot of recipes calling for it. And tofu, though it sounds like chicken is most traditional. I was a bit discouraged when researching recipes because I would need to acquire fresh lemongra