Skip to main content

Tilapia Cakes

They smell good, too.

I'd never had tilapia cakes before, but I figured if it works for crab and salmon, it would work with tilapia too. And it does! I've made these twice now, and we love them. For flavor inspiration, I turned to the things I usually put in tuna salad: mustard, capers, lemon, yogurt, onions, and celery. Except that I use shallot instead of onion because it is positively delicious in things like this.

I bake the tilapia with a casual sprinkling of salt, pepper, and olive oil over the top. It's hard to mess up the cooking of the fish here. By the time the cakes are done, no one will know if your original tilapia was overdone. Or underdone, as long as you can flake it apart sufficiently. Easy.

Line the dish with foil for less mess later... unless you flake the cooked fish in the same dish and end up poking holes in the foil and letting the fish juices coat it anyway. Oops.


The Mixture.

I like to serve these over a bed of spinach, with honey mustard dressing (honey, mustard, olive oil, cider vinegar, salt, pepper, Magic Bullet) on top. But let your imagination go wild. You could probably make a mean sandwich with these if you just made a bigger patty.


The Recipe (serves 2):
2 tilapia filets
1 shallot, minced
1 rib of celery, minced
1 tb capers, minced
1/4 c panko
1 egg
1 tb plain yogurt
1 tsp mustard
1 tsp lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
  • Sprinkle tilapia with salt, pepper, and olive oil. Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes, until it can be flaked apart. Flake into desired size.
  • Saute shallot and celery in olive oil over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, until softened. Season with salt and pepper.
  • Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Refrigerate for 30+ minutes.
  • Form patties on a prepared baking sheet. Spray the tops of the patties with a light coat of baking spray.
  • Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until tops are lightly browned.

The Verdict:
Overall grade: A
Overall reason: A great change of pace from usual tilapia preparations.
Time to prepare: 90 minutes
Husband quote: These are good! Did you blog these? You should blog these. Get a picture.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen renovation!

BEFORE: AFTER: Still to come: a beautiful new induction range and some wood shelving on the left side, above the backsplash. And maybe the shelving unit on the wall facing the cabinets should be green, but we're going to live with a while before making that decision.

Adzuki Beans with Black Rice

I hope I don't turn any readers away by featuring cilantro in my first photo. My current food obsession is black rice. I was first introduced to it at  Sushi Pure . It's purple when cooked, and I was completely smitten when purple sushi arrived at our table. I mean, purple sushi! It was like my birthday or something. Actually, it might have been my birthday, because I pretty much always have sushi on my birthday, but anyway. It's kind of sweet and has this great chewy texture. When I learned  how healthy it is , my crush evolved to full-out love. Sushi Pure's Spicy Tuna Roll (photo from FoodSpotting.com) In my ongoing research for ingredients that are low in calories but high in nutrition, adzuki (also spelled azuki) beans came up. I learned that these are the sweet red beans used in Japanese desserts, including red bean ice cream, which I've been obsessed with since I was a kid. But since turning them into ice cream probably negates the health benef

Cambodian Lemongrass Stir-Fry

  I recommend going heavy on the peanuts I recently finally branched out and tried something new at  Angkor Cambodian Restaurant , and now I'll never branch out ever again because my new favorite dish is too good. They call it Cha Krung, though I've seen a lot of other spellings in my attempt to find recipes. It's a lemongrass stir-fry and they do it with green beans, carrot, onion, and jalapeno, with peanuts on top. The peanuts are amazing in this, but I also really love the way they stir-fry the jalapeno as a vegetable, by removing the seeds and veins and slicing it thin. In my version above I used what I had, which was broccoli, eggplant from the garden, thai chilies instead of the jalapeno (but I'm going to grow jalapenos next year for this purpose), and fresh basil since I found a lot of recipes calling for it. And tofu, though it sounds like chicken is most traditional. I was a bit discouraged when researching recipes because I would need to acquire fresh lemongra