Skip to main content

Grilled Jalapeño Poppers with Mango-Lime Sauce

Charred cheese! Unintended and wonderful.

Jess and I often get joint cravings for a few specific things: sushi, ice cream, and the jalapeño poppers at Cafe 440. Today was our first effort at re-creating the poppers, and I must say, it was a success. They were at least as good as the restaurant version. Maybe better, because I like our turkey bacon better than their prosciutto. 

Their sauce is listed in the menu as "mango-lime coulis." So I took out the mini food processor and blended up a mango with lime juice, garlic, honey, and salt. I imagine they cook the sauce down and/or strain it, because theirs is smooth, but ours tasted great. We think it would be good on smoked-salmon sushi, too.

About to become sauce.

Some important things unless you enjoy pain:
1) Wear gloves while working with the jalapeños.
2) Be thorough about removing the ribs and seeds from the jalapeños, and also rinse the insides to remove any hiding seeds and mouth-burning residue. 
3) Don't skimp on cooking time. The jalapeños will mellow the longer they're grilled.

Jess had to take over after the jalapeño fumes nearly killed me. He did a much better (more patient) job than I would have done assembling these.


Jess also did the grilling. He played whack-a-mole with the oozing cheese to achieve minimal loss.


Kenna sat nearby while we ate, but she kept her eyes closed so we'd know she was bored with us. Or maybe the jalapeño fumes got to her, too.


The Recipe:
8 large jalapeños
4 oz goat cheese
8 slices turkey bacon
1 mango, peeled and cut into chunks
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tb lime juice
1 tsp honey
pinch of salt
  • Prepare the jalapeños: Cut off the stems and then make a single slice down one side, like a hot dog bun. Wearing gloves, remove the ribs and seeds and then rinse thoroughly in cold water.
  • Stuff each jalapeño with goat cheese, then wrap a slice of bacon in a single layer around the stuffed pepper. Stick a toothpick through the loose end to hold it together.
  • Blend mango, garlic, lime, honey, and salt in a food processor to make the sauce.
  • Grill the peppers over a low flame for about 20 minutes total, turning every few minutes. Cook until bacon is crispy on all sides and jalapeños are charred. Try not to lose too much cheese in the process.

The Verdict:
Overall grade: A
Overall reason: Delicious but labor-intensive.
Time to prepare: 1 hour
Husband quotes: 
1) "This it the fanciest thing you've ever made. Well, the fanciest thing WE've ever made."
2) "The only thing better than bacon wrapped around jalapeños would be bacon wrapped around bacon." (Takes another bite.) "No, bacon wrapped around jalapeños is better."
3) "The jalapeño demands to be felt." (We just saw this movie).







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen renovation!

BEFORE: AFTER: Still to come: a beautiful new induction range and some wood shelving on the left side, above the backsplash. And maybe the shelving unit on the wall facing the cabinets should be green, but we're going to live with a while before making that decision.

Adzuki Beans with Black Rice

I hope I don't turn any readers away by featuring cilantro in my first photo. My current food obsession is black rice. I was first introduced to it at  Sushi Pure . It's purple when cooked, and I was completely smitten when purple sushi arrived at our table. I mean, purple sushi! It was like my birthday or something. Actually, it might have been my birthday, because I pretty much always have sushi on my birthday, but anyway. It's kind of sweet and has this great chewy texture. When I learned  how healthy it is , my crush evolved to full-out love. Sushi Pure's Spicy Tuna Roll (photo from FoodSpotting.com) In my ongoing research for ingredients that are low in calories but high in nutrition, adzuki (also spelled azuki) beans came up. I learned that these are the sweet red beans used in Japanese desserts, including red bean ice cream, which I've been obsessed with since I was a kid. But since turning them into ice cream probably negates the health benef

Cambodian Lemongrass Stir-Fry

  I recommend going heavy on the peanuts I recently finally branched out and tried something new at  Angkor Cambodian Restaurant , and now I'll never branch out ever again because my new favorite dish is too good. They call it Cha Krung, though I've seen a lot of other spellings in my attempt to find recipes. It's a lemongrass stir-fry and they do it with green beans, carrot, onion, and jalapeno, with peanuts on top. The peanuts are amazing in this, but I also really love the way they stir-fry the jalapeno as a vegetable, by removing the seeds and veins and slicing it thin. In my version above I used what I had, which was broccoli, eggplant from the garden, thai chilies instead of the jalapeno (but I'm going to grow jalapenos next year for this purpose), and fresh basil since I found a lot of recipes calling for it. And tofu, though it sounds like chicken is most traditional. I was a bit discouraged when researching recipes because I would need to acquire fresh lemongra