Skip to main content

Upma

Can you smell the spices just LOOKING at this? I can. 

Part two of the two-part series of favorite south Indian brunch foods brings us another traditional goodie: upma. This is one of my go-to dishes when people come over for brunch. They always look at it with skepticism and end up loving it (or at least they tell me they do, and they usually have seconds). It's just semolina, cooked and seasoned into a mush of spicy complexity that works for any meal of the day.


A good day in the garden.

In the middle of winter, this dish works pretty well with frozen peas and carrots. But on this day, I had collected tomatoes, zucchini, potatoes, a chili pepper, garlic, and shallots from the garden. So that's what went into the upma. And oh my, it was delicious.

I've made upma many times without the urad dal. In that case, it looks and feels more like couscous when it's done. The urad dal causes it to be more creamy and risotto-like, not to mention healthier. I'll be making it this way from now on.

I used to make upma from a box of upma mix. But then one fateful day, there was no upma mix at the Asian market, and so I bought plain semolina instead. And it's way better that way.


The Recipe:
1 lb semolina
1 red onion, chopped (or a couple of shallots)
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tb ginger root, chopped
1 hot chili, chopped (or chili paste)
2 cups vegetables (I recommend tomato and potato plus whatever else looks good)
1/2 c urad dal
1 tsp tumeric
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp coriander
salt to taste
Serve with: chopped cilantro, plain yogurt, toasted mustard seeds, Indian pickle
  • Toast the semolina in a dry pan over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until it is light brown. Set aside.
  • Cook onion, garlic, ginger, and chili over medium-high heat until onion softens
  • Add spices and stir for 30 seconds until your kitchen smells amazing
  • Add other vegetables and urad dal and stir for 1-2 minutes
  • Add 4 cups of water, cover, and cook 20-30 minutes until urad dal is cooked. Add more water along the way if necessary.
  • When urad dal is cooked, make sure your mixture is still plenty wet - see photo below. Add more water and heat through as needed. 
  • Add the toasted semolina, stir, turn off the heat, cover, and let sit about 3 minutes until semolina is soft. (If it's too dry to hydrate all of the semolina, add more hot water. If the semolina is softened and it's too wet, turn back on the heat and stir until the extra water evaporates. It's hard to mess this one up.)
  • Top with chopped cilantro and mustard seeds, and serve with plain yogurt and Indian pickle.
It should be this wet before adding the semolina.

The Verdict:
Overall grade: A+
Overall reason: I find this addictive like pizza or movie popcorn, but it's actually healthy!
Time to prepare: 1 hour
Husband quote: "Spicy! Good."


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen renovation!

BEFORE: AFTER: Still to come: a beautiful new induction range and some wood shelving on the left side, above the backsplash. And maybe the shelving unit on the wall facing the cabinets should be green, but we're going to live with a while before making that decision.

Adzuki Beans with Black Rice

I hope I don't turn any readers away by featuring cilantro in my first photo. My current food obsession is black rice. I was first introduced to it at  Sushi Pure . It's purple when cooked, and I was completely smitten when purple sushi arrived at our table. I mean, purple sushi! It was like my birthday or something. Actually, it might have been my birthday, because I pretty much always have sushi on my birthday, but anyway. It's kind of sweet and has this great chewy texture. When I learned  how healthy it is , my crush evolved to full-out love. Sushi Pure's Spicy Tuna Roll (photo from FoodSpotting.com) In my ongoing research for ingredients that are low in calories but high in nutrition, adzuki (also spelled azuki) beans came up. I learned that these are the sweet red beans used in Japanese desserts, including red bean ice cream, which I've been obsessed with since I was a kid. But since turning them into ice cream probably negates the health benef

Cambodian Lemongrass Stir-Fry

  I recommend going heavy on the peanuts I recently finally branched out and tried something new at  Angkor Cambodian Restaurant , and now I'll never branch out ever again because my new favorite dish is too good. They call it Cha Krung, though I've seen a lot of other spellings in my attempt to find recipes. It's a lemongrass stir-fry and they do it with green beans, carrot, onion, and jalapeno, with peanuts on top. The peanuts are amazing in this, but I also really love the way they stir-fry the jalapeno as a vegetable, by removing the seeds and veins and slicing it thin. In my version above I used what I had, which was broccoli, eggplant from the garden, thai chilies instead of the jalapeno (but I'm going to grow jalapenos next year for this purpose), and fresh basil since I found a lot of recipes calling for it. And tofu, though it sounds like chicken is most traditional. I was a bit discouraged when researching recipes because I would need to acquire fresh lemongra