Skip to main content

Mushroom Gravy

Maybe one day I'll buy a gravy boat.

This stuff is pure gold. I think I found this recipe the very first time I prepared Thanksgiving dinner, in college. It's the only Thanksgiving recipe I've kept from year to year. Everyone who's tried it has loved it (or at least pretended to), and many have asked for the recipe and/or asked me to make it again. Seriously, if you have any interest whatsoever in mushroom gravy, look no further. This is your recipe.

I usually use a combination of white and cremini mushrooms. The original recipe suggests using a mixture of exotic mushrooms. I've tried various sorts over the years and they're good, but it's also so good with your standard (cheap) mushrooms that I don't think it's necessary to splurge on the mushrooms. The only kind I haven't liked in it were shiitakes. They were too tough and stayed chewy in the final product. 

Not quite doubled, but these quantities are slightly more generous than the recipe calls for.

When the balsamic vinegar and red wine start reducing, your nose will be in heaven.

This gravy is excellent on your Thanksgiving standards. It is great over open-faced baked tofu or turkey sandwiches with swiss cheese melted on top. (These were my efforts to recreate the "Turkey Mushroom Madness" from the Autumn Cafe in Oneonta, NY, which I used to frequent as a counselor at music camp. It did the trick.) It is great heated and poured into the center of a bowl of hummus, and then eaten with pita. I have also thinned the leftovers with vegetable stock and made it into a pasta sauce for gnocchi, and I think it could be repurposed into a soup if I had the confidence to mess with soup recipes.

Are you convinced yet? If this blog had smell-o-vision, you would be on your way to the store to get mushrooms by now.


The Recipe:
1 pound mixed mushrooms, sliced
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tb butter
1 onion, chopped
1 tb soy sauce
1/2 c dry red wine
1 tb balsamic vinegar
1 tb cornstarch dissolved in 1 1/2 cups cold water
1/2 tsp sugar
2 tb parsley, chopped
  • Cook onion and garlic in butter over medium-high heat, stirring, until softened
  • Add mushrooms and soy sauce and cook, stirring, until mushroom liquid has evaporated
  • Add wine and vinegar and boil until liquid has evaporated
  • Add cornstarch mixture and sugar, stirring as it comes to a boil and thickens, about 2 minutes
  • Turn off heat, and add parsley and salt and pepper to taste


The Verdict:
Overall grade: A+
Overall reason: You will want to bottle the aroma. It's like nothing else.
Time to prepare: 1/2 hour
Husband quote: "Yum" (this from the guy who claims not to like mushrooms)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen renovation!

BEFORE: AFTER: Still to come: a beautiful new induction range and some wood shelving on the left side, above the backsplash. And maybe the shelving unit on the wall facing the cabinets should be green, but we're going to live with a while before making that decision.

Adzuki Beans with Black Rice

I hope I don't turn any readers away by featuring cilantro in my first photo. My current food obsession is black rice. I was first introduced to it at  Sushi Pure . It's purple when cooked, and I was completely smitten when purple sushi arrived at our table. I mean, purple sushi! It was like my birthday or something. Actually, it might have been my birthday, because I pretty much always have sushi on my birthday, but anyway. It's kind of sweet and has this great chewy texture. When I learned  how healthy it is , my crush evolved to full-out love. Sushi Pure's Spicy Tuna Roll (photo from FoodSpotting.com) In my ongoing research for ingredients that are low in calories but high in nutrition, adzuki (also spelled azuki) beans came up. I learned that these are the sweet red beans used in Japanese desserts, including red bean ice cream, which I've been obsessed with since I was a kid. But since turning them into ice cream probably negates the health benef

Cambodian Lemongrass Stir-Fry

  I recommend going heavy on the peanuts I recently finally branched out and tried something new at  Angkor Cambodian Restaurant , and now I'll never branch out ever again because my new favorite dish is too good. They call it Cha Krung, though I've seen a lot of other spellings in my attempt to find recipes. It's a lemongrass stir-fry and they do it with green beans, carrot, onion, and jalapeno, with peanuts on top. The peanuts are amazing in this, but I also really love the way they stir-fry the jalapeno as a vegetable, by removing the seeds and veins and slicing it thin. In my version above I used what I had, which was broccoli, eggplant from the garden, thai chilies instead of the jalapeno (but I'm going to grow jalapenos next year for this purpose), and fresh basil since I found a lot of recipes calling for it. And tofu, though it sounds like chicken is most traditional. I was a bit discouraged when researching recipes because I would need to acquire fresh lemongra