Skip to main content

Bacon Turkey Bravo Panini

Not pictured: drooling husband.

One of the great mysteries of life is why Eugene STILL does not have a Panera. I feel confident that it's only a matter of time. But in the meantime, I decided to fulfill my craving for a Turkey Bacon Bravo without necessitating a road trip. And turning it into a panini just seemed like a good idea, because why have gouda cold when you can melt it?

I've been obsessed with the Turkey Bacon Bravo since before Panera was called Panera. (It'll always be St. Louis Bread Company in my heart.) Even through my various periods of vegetarianism, any time I found myself at a Panera, I made the exception and had turkey and bacon. 

One concern I had in the recreation process was the bread. It's supposed to be on this deliciously sweet tomato basil bread, and I couldn't find anything like that at the store. So I decided to put the tomato-basil flavor inside the sandwich instead, by sprinkling basil (and sea salt) on my tomato slices before putting them in the sandwich.

Amazing tomatoes from the garden help, too.

For the dressing, I found this recipe. I tasted it before putting it on the sandwich to make sure it was good, and guess what? It tastes like the sandwich! I had always attributed the deliciousness of the sandwich to the bread, the bacon, and the cheese. I didn't realize how important the sauce was.

We will be having this again.


The Recipe: (makes 2 sandwiches)
2 servings focaccia or other grill-worthy rolls/bread
1/4 lb cold-cut turkey
4 slices smoked gouda
4 slices bacon, cooked crisp
1 small tomato, sliced
pinch dried basil (or fresh if you have it!)
pinch sea salt
1/2 c mayonnaise
1/4 c ketchup
1/2 tb lemon juice
1/2 tsp mustard
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
dash hot sauce
  • Combine mayonnaise, ketchup, lemon juice, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce in bowl.
  • Sprinkle tomato slices with basil and sea salt.
  • Assemble sandwiches on bread. (I did bread, half of the cheese, turkey, bacon, tomatoes, sauce, the other half of the cheese, then bread.)
  • Grill on low in a panini press until bread is crispy and cheese is melted.

The Verdict:
Overall grade: A
Overall reason: Amazing flavor. Not healthy enough for an A+.
Time to prepare: 10 minutes if the bacon is already cooked.
Husband quote: "This is tasty. After I eat mine, I'm going to eat yours. Hey, what's the cat doing out there?" (Tries to grab my sandwich.)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen renovation!

BEFORE: AFTER: Still to come: a beautiful new induction range and some wood shelving on the left side, above the backsplash. And maybe the shelving unit on the wall facing the cabinets should be green, but we're going to live with a while before making that decision.

Adzuki Beans with Black Rice

I hope I don't turn any readers away by featuring cilantro in my first photo. My current food obsession is black rice. I was first introduced to it at  Sushi Pure . It's purple when cooked, and I was completely smitten when purple sushi arrived at our table. I mean, purple sushi! It was like my birthday or something. Actually, it might have been my birthday, because I pretty much always have sushi on my birthday, but anyway. It's kind of sweet and has this great chewy texture. When I learned  how healthy it is , my crush evolved to full-out love. Sushi Pure's Spicy Tuna Roll (photo from FoodSpotting.com) In my ongoing research for ingredients that are low in calories but high in nutrition, adzuki (also spelled azuki) beans came up. I learned that these are the sweet red beans used in Japanese desserts, including red bean ice cream, which I've been obsessed with since I was a kid. But since turning them into ice cream probably negates the health benef

Cambodian Lemongrass Stir-Fry

  I recommend going heavy on the peanuts I recently finally branched out and tried something new at  Angkor Cambodian Restaurant , and now I'll never branch out ever again because my new favorite dish is too good. They call it Cha Krung, though I've seen a lot of other spellings in my attempt to find recipes. It's a lemongrass stir-fry and they do it with green beans, carrot, onion, and jalapeno, with peanuts on top. The peanuts are amazing in this, but I also really love the way they stir-fry the jalapeno as a vegetable, by removing the seeds and veins and slicing it thin. In my version above I used what I had, which was broccoli, eggplant from the garden, thai chilies instead of the jalapeno (but I'm going to grow jalapenos next year for this purpose), and fresh basil since I found a lot of recipes calling for it. And tofu, though it sounds like chicken is most traditional. I was a bit discouraged when researching recipes because I would need to acquire fresh lemongra