Skip to main content

Honey Ginger Stir Fry

I love red onions, but they look kinda slimy in a stir-fry, don't they?

I should really do a Julie/Julia thing with the Pinch of Yum blog, because I've probably cooked my way through 10% of her recipes already. At the very least, I need to go back through my blog entries and categorize together everything I've made from the blog. In the meantime, I'll just say a big thanks to Lindsay for providing us with so many fantastic meals. She has yet to lead us astray.

For this one, I followed the exact sauce recipe from her Honey Ginger Tofu and Vegetable Stir-Fry recipe. I bought baked tofu from Trader Joe's instead of frying up tofu of my own (my pregnant achey hips are eager for short-cuts in the kitchen right now), and I grabbed whatever vegetables looked fresh and easy to prepare. Those ended up being asparagus, spinach, mushrooms, red onions, and celery. 

The sauce has a real ginger punch but it's perfectly balanced with the honey. I also really like this sauce because it's super easy and I almost always have the ingredients on hand.

I noticed that in the original recipe, she suggests cooking the asparagus with some sauce right off the bat. I didn't do this because the asparagus needed less cooking time than some of my other veggies (onions and mushrooms) and I didn't want to cook the mushrooms in sauce, but it seems like a really good idea for asparagus. I'll remember it for another time.


The Recipe:
3 cloves garlic
2 tb fresh ginger, grated
2 tb honey
1/2 c soy sauce
1/4 c water
1/4 c rice wine vinegar
1/4 c canola oil
your choice of vegetables and protein for stir-frying
rice, for serving (I like brown rice for this)

  • Blend sauce ingredients in magic bullet or other blending device
  • Stir-fry vegetables and proteins over high heat until just cooked enough
  • Add sauce, mix to combine
  • Serve over rice

The Verdict:
Overall grade: A-
Overall reason: Easy, tasty, healthy. Just what I look for.
Time to prepare: 10 minutes, unless you have stir-fry ingredients that need a long time to cook. (Plus time to cook rice, but that takes no effort with a rice cooker.)
Husband quote: "SMELLS GOOD."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen renovation!

BEFORE: AFTER: Still to come: a beautiful new induction range and some wood shelving on the left side, above the backsplash. And maybe the shelving unit on the wall facing the cabinets should be green, but we're going to live with a while before making that decision.

Adzuki Beans with Black Rice

I hope I don't turn any readers away by featuring cilantro in my first photo. My current food obsession is black rice. I was first introduced to it at  Sushi Pure . It's purple when cooked, and I was completely smitten when purple sushi arrived at our table. I mean, purple sushi! It was like my birthday or something. Actually, it might have been my birthday, because I pretty much always have sushi on my birthday, but anyway. It's kind of sweet and has this great chewy texture. When I learned  how healthy it is , my crush evolved to full-out love. Sushi Pure's Spicy Tuna Roll (photo from FoodSpotting.com) In my ongoing research for ingredients that are low in calories but high in nutrition, adzuki (also spelled azuki) beans came up. I learned that these are the sweet red beans used in Japanese desserts, including red bean ice cream, which I've been obsessed with since I was a kid. But since turning them into ice cream probably negates the health benef

Cambodian Lemongrass Stir-Fry

  I recommend going heavy on the peanuts I recently finally branched out and tried something new at  Angkor Cambodian Restaurant , and now I'll never branch out ever again because my new favorite dish is too good. They call it Cha Krung, though I've seen a lot of other spellings in my attempt to find recipes. It's a lemongrass stir-fry and they do it with green beans, carrot, onion, and jalapeno, with peanuts on top. The peanuts are amazing in this, but I also really love the way they stir-fry the jalapeno as a vegetable, by removing the seeds and veins and slicing it thin. In my version above I used what I had, which was broccoli, eggplant from the garden, thai chilies instead of the jalapeno (but I'm going to grow jalapenos next year for this purpose), and fresh basil since I found a lot of recipes calling for it. And tofu, though it sounds like chicken is most traditional. I was a bit discouraged when researching recipes because I would need to acquire fresh lemongra