Skip to main content

Tuna Noodle Casserole

Cheese.

Since casseroles are often meaty and not often healthy, I don't make many of them. However, tuna noodle casserole is the perfect post-partum meal to have in the freezer. Aside from the obvious benefits of casseroles post-baby (easy to make, freezes well, cheap and quick to make in large quantities), I had been avoiding tuna during pregnancy for its mercury content and I was eager to start eating it again. This isn't the most healthy way to indulge in tuna, but it is delicious and easy, and I lightened it up as much as possible.

I used this recipe as my guide, but I sauteed the onions, added other veggies, and seasoned the veggies. I also have no idea whether I followed their quantities of each ingredient, because I just did what looked right.


The Recipe:
1 box whole wheat noodles (I used rotini)
3 cans tuna, drained
1 onion, chopped
1 bag frozen peas
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 c milk (I used almond milk)
6 tb cheddar cheese, shredded
Optional additional fresh vegetables, chopped (I used celery and carrot here. Broccoli or mushrooms would be good too.)
  • Cook noodles to al dente
  • Sautee onion in olive oil over medium-high heat. When softened, add other fresh vegetables and sautee until soft and slightly browned. Add frozen peas and season the veggies generously with salt and pepper.
  • Combine vegetables, cooked noodles, mushroom soup and milk. 
  • Pour into a 9x13 casserole dish and top with cheddar.
  • Bake at 350 uncovered for 45 minutes.

The Verdict:
Overall grade: B-
Overall reason: It needs some oomph, but it's a good start. I will keep experimenting.
Time to prepare: 20 minutes plus baking time
Husband quote: "Yum! I would gladly eat this again, given the oppor-TUNA-ty."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen renovation!

BEFORE: AFTER: Still to come: a beautiful new induction range and some wood shelving on the left side, above the backsplash. And maybe the shelving unit on the wall facing the cabinets should be green, but we're going to live with a while before making that decision.

Adzuki Beans with Black Rice

I hope I don't turn any readers away by featuring cilantro in my first photo. My current food obsession is black rice. I was first introduced to it at  Sushi Pure . It's purple when cooked, and I was completely smitten when purple sushi arrived at our table. I mean, purple sushi! It was like my birthday or something. Actually, it might have been my birthday, because I pretty much always have sushi on my birthday, but anyway. It's kind of sweet and has this great chewy texture. When I learned  how healthy it is , my crush evolved to full-out love. Sushi Pure's Spicy Tuna Roll (photo from FoodSpotting.com) In my ongoing research for ingredients that are low in calories but high in nutrition, adzuki (also spelled azuki) beans came up. I learned that these are the sweet red beans used in Japanese desserts, including red bean ice cream, which I've been obsessed with since I was a kid. But since turning them into ice cream probably negates the health benef

Cambodian Lemongrass Stir-Fry

  I recommend going heavy on the peanuts I recently finally branched out and tried something new at  Angkor Cambodian Restaurant , and now I'll never branch out ever again because my new favorite dish is too good. They call it Cha Krung, though I've seen a lot of other spellings in my attempt to find recipes. It's a lemongrass stir-fry and they do it with green beans, carrot, onion, and jalapeno, with peanuts on top. The peanuts are amazing in this, but I also really love the way they stir-fry the jalapeno as a vegetable, by removing the seeds and veins and slicing it thin. In my version above I used what I had, which was broccoli, eggplant from the garden, thai chilies instead of the jalapeno (but I'm going to grow jalapenos next year for this purpose), and fresh basil since I found a lot of recipes calling for it. And tofu, though it sounds like chicken is most traditional. I was a bit discouraged when researching recipes because I would need to acquire fresh lemongra