Skip to main content

Sofritas Rice Bowls

Next time there will be a bigger scoop of guacamole.

I had Chipotle's sofritas once, in an airport at like 8:30am when I'd already been traveling for a few hours. I liked it. I would eat it routinely except that our Chipotle is a block away from Mucho Gusto, which is similar except way better (and local) and has among my favorite tofu in town.

But when I saw the spicy sofritas veggie bowls on my favorite food blog, Pinch of Yum, I was excited to try it.

One day, I'll follow the original recipe exactly and make my own sauce. In the meantime, I cheat and buy a chipotle salsa at the store and use that as my sauce.

I almost didn't add any beans because they didn't seem to belong, but I'm so glad I did. They really break up the texture of the tofu and add more depth to the dish.


The Recipe (serves 4):
1 block extra-firm tofu
small jar chipotle salsa (or make the sauce in the Pinch of Yum recipe)
1/4 c water
15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
guacamole, for serving
rice, for serving
optional: mexican cheese, sliced green onions, and/or chopped cilantro
  • Cook the rice. I used brown rice, then squeezed in a small amount of lime and mixed in some chopped cilantro.
  • Slice the tofu block into layers, so you have 3-4 thin slabs. Press out excess water with paper towels.
  • Fry the tofu in vegetable oil over medium heat until browned on both sides.
  • Using a wooden spoon, break up the fried tofu blocks into crumbles.
  • Add the salsa, water, and beans.
  • Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes, adding more water if needed.
  • Layer rice, tofu mixture, guacamole, and other optional toppings (cheese, green onions, cilantro).

The Verdict:
Overall grade: A
Overall reason: Easy, and exactly the type of food I routinely crave
Time to prepare: 25 min
Husband quote: "MORE GUACAMOLE, please."


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen renovation!

BEFORE: AFTER: Still to come: a beautiful new induction range and some wood shelving on the left side, above the backsplash. And maybe the shelving unit on the wall facing the cabinets should be green, but we're going to live with a while before making that decision.

Adzuki Beans with Black Rice

I hope I don't turn any readers away by featuring cilantro in my first photo. My current food obsession is black rice. I was first introduced to it at  Sushi Pure . It's purple when cooked, and I was completely smitten when purple sushi arrived at our table. I mean, purple sushi! It was like my birthday or something. Actually, it might have been my birthday, because I pretty much always have sushi on my birthday, but anyway. It's kind of sweet and has this great chewy texture. When I learned  how healthy it is , my crush evolved to full-out love. Sushi Pure's Spicy Tuna Roll (photo from FoodSpotting.com) In my ongoing research for ingredients that are low in calories but high in nutrition, adzuki (also spelled azuki) beans came up. I learned that these are the sweet red beans used in Japanese desserts, including red bean ice cream, which I've been obsessed with since I was a kid. But since turning them into ice cream probably negates the health benef

Cambodian Lemongrass Stir-Fry

  I recommend going heavy on the peanuts I recently finally branched out and tried something new at  Angkor Cambodian Restaurant , and now I'll never branch out ever again because my new favorite dish is too good. They call it Cha Krung, though I've seen a lot of other spellings in my attempt to find recipes. It's a lemongrass stir-fry and they do it with green beans, carrot, onion, and jalapeno, with peanuts on top. The peanuts are amazing in this, but I also really love the way they stir-fry the jalapeno as a vegetable, by removing the seeds and veins and slicing it thin. In my version above I used what I had, which was broccoli, eggplant from the garden, thai chilies instead of the jalapeno (but I'm going to grow jalapenos next year for this purpose), and fresh basil since I found a lot of recipes calling for it. And tofu, though it sounds like chicken is most traditional. I was a bit discouraged when researching recipes because I would need to acquire fresh lemongra