Skip to main content

Chocolate Zucchini Bread / Muffins

Chocolate chips should be on the top of every loaf of bread

This year, I found a 6-pack of zucchini starter plants for the same price as one plant. At the same time, the house-flippers next door took down a large portion of fence, creating a new extra-sunny, south-facing patch of garden that we didn't have before. The result is wayyyy too much zucchini for a family of 3. 

I worked from this recipe. I like it because it does use a lot of zucchini, it's delicious, and it's definitely healthy-ish. If I were going to make it often, I'd experiment with making it healthier; I think it could be good substituting most of the oil with flax seeds and applesauce, and the applesauce would allow it to have less sugar. And oats. Always oats.

But as is, it's very good. The only change I made was that I inadvertently used less cocoa powder than the original recipe called for, because I tripled the recipe (TOO MUCH ZUCCHINI) and ran out. But it was plenty chocolatey, and I like that it still tasted like zucchini bread, so I kept this change.


The Recipe (from wyldflower.com):
2 eggs
1/4 c canola oil
1/4 c plain yogurt
1/2 c sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 c flour
1/4 c unsweetened cocoa powder (original recipe called for 1/2 c)
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 c chocolate chips, plus more for topping
1 1/2 c shredded zucchini 
  • Drain excess water out of zucchini by letting it sit in a colander for a few minutes
  • Mix eggs, oil, yogurt, sugar, and vanilla extract
  • Add flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt
  • Fold in chocolate chips and zucchini
  • Pour into prepared loaf pan or muffin pan
  • Top with extra chocolate chips
  • Bake at 350 for 40-50 minutes for a loaf, or 20-30 minutes for muffins

The Verdict:
Overall grade: B+
Overall reason: Delicious, could be healthier
Time to prepare: 15 minutes, plus baking time
Husband quote: "I like zucchini bread."


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen renovation!

BEFORE: AFTER: Still to come: a beautiful new induction range and some wood shelving on the left side, above the backsplash. And maybe the shelving unit on the wall facing the cabinets should be green, but we're going to live with a while before making that decision.

Adzuki Beans with Black Rice

I hope I don't turn any readers away by featuring cilantro in my first photo. My current food obsession is black rice. I was first introduced to it at  Sushi Pure . It's purple when cooked, and I was completely smitten when purple sushi arrived at our table. I mean, purple sushi! It was like my birthday or something. Actually, it might have been my birthday, because I pretty much always have sushi on my birthday, but anyway. It's kind of sweet and has this great chewy texture. When I learned  how healthy it is , my crush evolved to full-out love. Sushi Pure's Spicy Tuna Roll (photo from FoodSpotting.com) In my ongoing research for ingredients that are low in calories but high in nutrition, adzuki (also spelled azuki) beans came up. I learned that these are the sweet red beans used in Japanese desserts, including red bean ice cream, which I've been obsessed with since I was a kid. But since turning them into ice cream probably negates the health benef

Cambodian Lemongrass Stir-Fry

  I recommend going heavy on the peanuts I recently finally branched out and tried something new at  Angkor Cambodian Restaurant , and now I'll never branch out ever again because my new favorite dish is too good. They call it Cha Krung, though I've seen a lot of other spellings in my attempt to find recipes. It's a lemongrass stir-fry and they do it with green beans, carrot, onion, and jalapeno, with peanuts on top. The peanuts are amazing in this, but I also really love the way they stir-fry the jalapeno as a vegetable, by removing the seeds and veins and slicing it thin. In my version above I used what I had, which was broccoli, eggplant from the garden, thai chilies instead of the jalapeno (but I'm going to grow jalapenos next year for this purpose), and fresh basil since I found a lot of recipes calling for it. And tofu, though it sounds like chicken is most traditional. I was a bit discouraged when researching recipes because I would need to acquire fresh lemongra