Skip to main content

Eggplant Parmesan

This was Jess's sandwich. I scooped my bread so I could fit it in my mouth.


It took many years away from New York (like 22 years) to suddenly realize that I missed a really good east coast eggplant parmesan, particularly in sandwich form. So I've made this a few times, and it's successfully fulfilled the craving.

I hate frying things, so I searched for instructions for a baked version and found this one from Gimme Some Oven. The only change I made is to omit the fresh basil (because I usually don't have it on hand) and also omit the Italian seasoning in the breadcrumbs. I like to keep the flavor on the eggplant simple, and pack my sauce with those flavors instead. 

I usually pick up fresh bread to turn it into a sandwich, but we're in quarantine and Fred Meyer was out of the french bread that I tried to get in my last pickup order. So out came the flour and yeast, and I followed this recipe for french bread, and it's SO good and not terribly difficult or time-consuming. I want to say that I will never bother buying french bread again, but I'm sure that's not true.


The Recipe: (from Gimme Some Oven)
1 eggplant, sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
3/4 c panko breadcrumbs
1 tsp salt
1 egg
1 pint tomato sauce (I make it with tomato/onion/garlic/salt/sugar/basil/oregano)
1 c mozzarella cheese, grated
1/3 c parmesan cheese, grated
fresh basil for garnish
french bread if making it into a sandwich
  • Sprinkle the sliced eggplant generously with salt and let it sit in a colander for 30-60 minutes to drain some liquid. Then rinse the salt away.
  • Beat the egg in one bowl. Mix the breadcrumbs and salt in another. Dip the eggplant rounds in egg, then breadcrumbs. Place on baking sheet.
  • Spray the tops of the eggplant rounds with baking spray.
  • Bake at 425 for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through.
  • In a 9x13 casserole dish, layer sauce, then eggplant, then both cheeses. It's fine to make a double layer if you run out of room.
  • Bake for another 20 minutes.
  • Garnish with fresh basil if you have it!
  • Serve in a sandwich, over pasta, or just by itself

The Verdict:
Overall grade: B+
Overall reason: Time consuming and not the most healthy, but delicious.
Time to prepare: 90 minutes
Husband quote: I like it when it's a sandwich. (Implication: he does not like eggplant by itself.)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen renovation!

BEFORE: AFTER: Still to come: a beautiful new induction range and some wood shelving on the left side, above the backsplash. And maybe the shelving unit on the wall facing the cabinets should be green, but we're going to live with a while before making that decision.

Adzuki Beans with Black Rice

I hope I don't turn any readers away by featuring cilantro in my first photo. My current food obsession is black rice. I was first introduced to it at  Sushi Pure . It's purple when cooked, and I was completely smitten when purple sushi arrived at our table. I mean, purple sushi! It was like my birthday or something. Actually, it might have been my birthday, because I pretty much always have sushi on my birthday, but anyway. It's kind of sweet and has this great chewy texture. When I learned  how healthy it is , my crush evolved to full-out love. Sushi Pure's Spicy Tuna Roll (photo from FoodSpotting.com) In my ongoing research for ingredients that are low in calories but high in nutrition, adzuki (also spelled azuki) beans came up. I learned that these are the sweet red beans used in Japanese desserts, including red bean ice cream, which I've been obsessed with since I was a kid. But since turning them into ice cream probably negates the health benef

Cambodian Lemongrass Stir-Fry

  I recommend going heavy on the peanuts I recently finally branched out and tried something new at  Angkor Cambodian Restaurant , and now I'll never branch out ever again because my new favorite dish is too good. They call it Cha Krung, though I've seen a lot of other spellings in my attempt to find recipes. It's a lemongrass stir-fry and they do it with green beans, carrot, onion, and jalapeno, with peanuts on top. The peanuts are amazing in this, but I also really love the way they stir-fry the jalapeno as a vegetable, by removing the seeds and veins and slicing it thin. In my version above I used what I had, which was broccoli, eggplant from the garden, thai chilies instead of the jalapeno (but I'm going to grow jalapenos next year for this purpose), and fresh basil since I found a lot of recipes calling for it. And tofu, though it sounds like chicken is most traditional. I was a bit discouraged when researching recipes because I would need to acquire fresh lemongra