Skip to main content

Pineapple Fried Rice

Photo is the leftovers in the pan, because we finished our bowls immediately.


I've been in a rut with fried rice lately, and I've struck out on a few recipes that I thought would be good but weren't. I'd seen this Cookie and Kate recipe before and I hadn't bothered with it because I felt like something with oyster sauce and/or fish sauce would be better, but I was wrong! I finally tried it and it's delicious.

Partially its success I think came from the experience that I finally have making fried rice and adjusting the seasonings at the end. I used the recipe as a guide, but I did a lot of adding and tasting at the end until it was just right. 

My only real change, other than seasoning to taste, was that I added a splash of the pineapple juice (from canned pineapple) in the seasoning process. We like a bit of sweetness in our fried rice.

This is the one! For now, at least. I'm curious about some of the recipes I've seen that use curry powder, so stay tuned.


The Recipe: (adapted from Cookie and Kate)
4 tb avocado oil
4 eggs, beaten with a pinch of salt
3 c canned pineapple chunks, juice reserved
1 red bell pepper, chopped finely
1/2 bunch green onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 c raw unsalted cashews
4 c cooked jasmine rice, cooled overnight
2+ tb soy sauce
1+ tb chili-garlic sauce
juice of 1 lime
salt, to taste
cilantro, to garnish
  • Scramble the eggs and set aside in a medium bowl.
  • In a wok, saute the pineapple chunks and bell pepper until pineapple starts to caramelize on the edges.
  • Add green onion and garlic, and cook while stirring for 30 seconds.
  • Remove the pineapple/pepper/green onion/garlic mixture to the bowl with the scrambled eggs.
  • Add more oil if necessary and place the cashews in the pan. Cook for 30 seconds.
  • Add the rice and stir to combine. Cook until the rice is hot.
  • Pour the contents of the bowl back in the pan and stir to combine.
  • Remove from heat.
  • Season with soy sauce, chili-garlic sauce, lime juice, salt, and pineapple juice to taste.

The Verdict:
Overall grade: A
Overall reason: So delicious and easy.
Time to prepare: 20 minutes, plus cooking/cooling the rice the previous night.
Husband quote: Sadly he had a cold... he said, "All I could taste was the spiciness."




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen renovation!

BEFORE: AFTER: Still to come: a beautiful new induction range and some wood shelving on the left side, above the backsplash. And maybe the shelving unit on the wall facing the cabinets should be green, but we're going to live with a while before making that decision.

Adzuki Beans with Black Rice

I hope I don't turn any readers away by featuring cilantro in my first photo. My current food obsession is black rice. I was first introduced to it at  Sushi Pure . It's purple when cooked, and I was completely smitten when purple sushi arrived at our table. I mean, purple sushi! It was like my birthday or something. Actually, it might have been my birthday, because I pretty much always have sushi on my birthday, but anyway. It's kind of sweet and has this great chewy texture. When I learned  how healthy it is , my crush evolved to full-out love. Sushi Pure's Spicy Tuna Roll (photo from FoodSpotting.com) In my ongoing research for ingredients that are low in calories but high in nutrition, adzuki (also spelled azuki) beans came up. I learned that these are the sweet red beans used in Japanese desserts, including red bean ice cream, which I've been obsessed with since I was a kid. But since turning them into ice cream probably negates the health benef

Cambodian Lemongrass Stir-Fry

  I recommend going heavy on the peanuts I recently finally branched out and tried something new at  Angkor Cambodian Restaurant , and now I'll never branch out ever again because my new favorite dish is too good. They call it Cha Krung, though I've seen a lot of other spellings in my attempt to find recipes. It's a lemongrass stir-fry and they do it with green beans, carrot, onion, and jalapeno, with peanuts on top. The peanuts are amazing in this, but I also really love the way they stir-fry the jalapeno as a vegetable, by removing the seeds and veins and slicing it thin. In my version above I used what I had, which was broccoli, eggplant from the garden, thai chilies instead of the jalapeno (but I'm going to grow jalapenos next year for this purpose), and fresh basil since I found a lot of recipes calling for it. And tofu, though it sounds like chicken is most traditional. I was a bit discouraged when researching recipes because I would need to acquire fresh lemongra