Skip to main content

Vegetable Pot Pie

 

I feel very proud of this.

After trying a number of meal kits, I've settled on Martha Stewart's kit, which I won't name or link here in case they don't like their recipes being posted on the internet. But it's easy to find. We've gotten two boxes so far, and nearly every recipe has been amazing. I wasn't planning to blog/keep any of the recipes, but this one was too good and I want to remember it so I can duplicate it on my own.

I've never made pot pie before, since I don't like meat and it never seemed appealing enough to bother with all of that work just for cooked vegetables. My mind is changed. It's worth it.




The Recipe:
2 medium carrots, diced small
1 large handful green beans (the recipe says 4 oz), cut into bite-sized pieces
1/2 medium onion, diced small
1 c corn
1.5 oz parmesan, grated
1 yukon gold potato, diced
3/4 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
1.5 c vegetable broth
1 c plus 2 tb self-rising flour
2 tb butter
1 tb vegetable oil
3/4 c plus 2/3 c milk
1 tsp cider vinegar
salt and pepper
  • In a small bowl, whisk 2 tb self-rising flour and 3/4 c milk.
  • Melt butter in an ovenproof 10" skillet. Transfer to a medium bowl and set aside until ready to make biscuit dough.
  • Add vegetable oil to the same pan over medium-high heat. Saute onions, carrots, and green beans until softened. Season with salt and pepper.
  • Add potatoes and vegetable broth, and bring to a boil.
  • Season with salt and pepper.
  • Add corn and the flour/milk mixture.
  • Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, about 6 minutes until thickened.
  • Add 2/3 c milk and 1 tsp vinegar to the bowl with the melted butter. Stir; butter will clump. Add parmesan, rosemary, 1 c self-rising flour, and 1/4 tsp salt. Stir just until combined.
  • Drop heaps of biscuit dough over the vegetable filling in the skillet.
  • Bake at 425 for 18 minutes, then let sit 5 minutes.

The Verdict:
Overall grade: A-
Overall reason: Amazingly delicious, but lacks protein.
Time to prepare: 90 minutes
Husband quote: "Very good."


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen renovation!

BEFORE: AFTER: Still to come: a beautiful new induction range and some wood shelving on the left side, above the backsplash. And maybe the shelving unit on the wall facing the cabinets should be green, but we're going to live with a while before making that decision.

Adzuki Beans with Black Rice

I hope I don't turn any readers away by featuring cilantro in my first photo. My current food obsession is black rice. I was first introduced to it at  Sushi Pure . It's purple when cooked, and I was completely smitten when purple sushi arrived at our table. I mean, purple sushi! It was like my birthday or something. Actually, it might have been my birthday, because I pretty much always have sushi on my birthday, but anyway. It's kind of sweet and has this great chewy texture. When I learned  how healthy it is , my crush evolved to full-out love. Sushi Pure's Spicy Tuna Roll (photo from FoodSpotting.com) In my ongoing research for ingredients that are low in calories but high in nutrition, adzuki (also spelled azuki) beans came up. I learned that these are the sweet red beans used in Japanese desserts, including red bean ice cream, which I've been obsessed with since I was a kid. But since turning them into ice cream probably negates the health benef

Cambodian Lemongrass Stir-Fry

  I recommend going heavy on the peanuts I recently finally branched out and tried something new at  Angkor Cambodian Restaurant , and now I'll never branch out ever again because my new favorite dish is too good. They call it Cha Krung, though I've seen a lot of other spellings in my attempt to find recipes. It's a lemongrass stir-fry and they do it with green beans, carrot, onion, and jalapeno, with peanuts on top. The peanuts are amazing in this, but I also really love the way they stir-fry the jalapeno as a vegetable, by removing the seeds and veins and slicing it thin. In my version above I used what I had, which was broccoli, eggplant from the garden, thai chilies instead of the jalapeno (but I'm going to grow jalapenos next year for this purpose), and fresh basil since I found a lot of recipes calling for it. And tofu, though it sounds like chicken is most traditional. I was a bit discouraged when researching recipes because I would need to acquire fresh lemongra