Skip to main content

Apple Pie

 
Not too shabby for my first pie ever that didn't start with buying crust already in a pie tin. Next time I'll tuck in the edges better, and also maybe use an actual pie tin.

View of the inside.


For my first ever apple pie, I knew I wanted something simple, something with a lattice top, and something that started with just layering raw apples inside the crust, rather than cooking the apples into a saucy filling. I decided to use this recipe from Allrecipes, thinking that maybe I'd step things up to make a fancier pie in the future. But it is SO GOOD that I think this will be my forever pie recipe.

I watched YouTube videos to learn how to do the lattice top, and then the 5-year-old actually carried out the work of doing it. It's a fun project to do with kids. 

So good.


The Recipe:
6 cups peeled, thinly sliced granny smith apples (I used 7 medium-small apples)
1/2 c white sugar
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tb butter, plus more for greasing the pie dish
dough for 2 9-inch pie crusts (I used Simple Truth organic refrigerated pie crust)
1 egg, beaten
  • Mix sugar and cinnamon
  • Grease the pie dish with butter
  • Place one pie crust across the bottom of the pie dish
  • Arrange layers of apples on the crust, sprinkling each layer with cinnamon-sugar. We used less than the full amount of cinnamon-sugar; maybe use more if your apples aren't very sweet.
  • After the top layer of apples, place small pieces of butter across the top.
  • Cover with top crust. Try YouTube if you don't know how to do a lattice top!
  • Lightly brush the top crust with beaten egg.
  • Bake on lowest rack in oven at 450 for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 and bake another 30 minutes.
  • (If making ahead of time, reheat in the oven at 375 for 15 minutes.)

The Verdict:
Overall grade: A+
Overall reason: Simple and delicious.
Time to prepare: 90 minutes
5-year-old quote: Pie was the best part of Thanksgiving. Let's have pie every day.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen renovation!

BEFORE: AFTER: Still to come: a beautiful new induction range and some wood shelving on the left side, above the backsplash. And maybe the shelving unit on the wall facing the cabinets should be green, but we're going to live with a while before making that decision.

Adzuki Beans with Black Rice

I hope I don't turn any readers away by featuring cilantro in my first photo. My current food obsession is black rice. I was first introduced to it at  Sushi Pure . It's purple when cooked, and I was completely smitten when purple sushi arrived at our table. I mean, purple sushi! It was like my birthday or something. Actually, it might have been my birthday, because I pretty much always have sushi on my birthday, but anyway. It's kind of sweet and has this great chewy texture. When I learned  how healthy it is , my crush evolved to full-out love. Sushi Pure's Spicy Tuna Roll (photo from FoodSpotting.com) In my ongoing research for ingredients that are low in calories but high in nutrition, adzuki (also spelled azuki) beans came up. I learned that these are the sweet red beans used in Japanese desserts, including red bean ice cream, which I've been obsessed with since I was a kid. But since turning them into ice cream probably negates the health benef

Cambodian Lemongrass Stir-Fry

  I recommend going heavy on the peanuts I recently finally branched out and tried something new at  Angkor Cambodian Restaurant , and now I'll never branch out ever again because my new favorite dish is too good. They call it Cha Krung, though I've seen a lot of other spellings in my attempt to find recipes. It's a lemongrass stir-fry and they do it with green beans, carrot, onion, and jalapeno, with peanuts on top. The peanuts are amazing in this, but I also really love the way they stir-fry the jalapeno as a vegetable, by removing the seeds and veins and slicing it thin. In my version above I used what I had, which was broccoli, eggplant from the garden, thai chilies instead of the jalapeno (but I'm going to grow jalapenos next year for this purpose), and fresh basil since I found a lot of recipes calling for it. And tofu, though it sounds like chicken is most traditional. I was a bit discouraged when researching recipes because I would need to acquire fresh lemongra