Skip to main content

Rainbow Cookies

 

Almondy magic.


I took rainbow cookies for granted until I moved out of New York and learned that I couldn't buy them anymore. Now, I make them about once every 4 years because they're kind of a lot of work. But so good.

This recipe is courtesy of my sister, the rainbow cookie queen.

The batch in the above photo was made with marzipan instead of almond paste because the grocery pickup made that substitution and thanks to Covid, I wasn't willing to go store-hopping to find the real thing. It worked and it's delicious, but the marzipan made the whole dough thicker than it should have been. I unscientifically reduced the amount of the sugar in the recipe since it's sweeter than almond paste, but the original recipe is below for a brighter future when I can go out and buy almond paste.


The Recipe:
8 oz almond paste
1 c butter, softened
1 c sugar
4 eggs, separated
2 c flour
6 drops red food coloring
6 drops green food coloring
1/4 seedless raspberry jam
1/4 c apricot jam
1 c dark chocolate chips, melted
  • Line three 9x13 baking pans with parchment paper.
  • In a large bowl, cream together the almond paste, butter, sugar, and egg yolks.
  • Stir in flour.
  • In a small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
  • Fold egg whites into dough.
  • Divide dough into 3 equal portions. Mix one portion with red food coloring and one with green food coloring.
  • Spread each portion into its own baking pan.
  • Bake at 350 for about 12 minutes, until lightly browned, and let cool completely.
  • Set up a piece of plastic wrap large enough to wrap all three layers. Place green layer on top, spread it with raspberry jam, place uncolored layer on top of that, spread it with apricot jam, and top with the pink layer. 
  • Enclose with plastic wrap. Place in refrigerator for 8+ hours with cutting board and something heavy on top to compress it.
  • Remove plastic wrap. Top with melted chocolate chips, and refrigerate until chocolate is firm. 
  • Slice into small rectangles.

The Verdict:
Overall grade: A-
Overall reason: Not healthy at ALL, and tons of work, but so delicious.
Time to prepare: About 2 hours of work, plus 9 hours of waiting.
Husband quote: "These are the best rainbow cookies I've ever had." (He's an Oregonian.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen renovation!

BEFORE: AFTER: Still to come: a beautiful new induction range and some wood shelving on the left side, above the backsplash. And maybe the shelving unit on the wall facing the cabinets should be green, but we're going to live with a while before making that decision.

Adzuki Beans with Black Rice

I hope I don't turn any readers away by featuring cilantro in my first photo. My current food obsession is black rice. I was first introduced to it at  Sushi Pure . It's purple when cooked, and I was completely smitten when purple sushi arrived at our table. I mean, purple sushi! It was like my birthday or something. Actually, it might have been my birthday, because I pretty much always have sushi on my birthday, but anyway. It's kind of sweet and has this great chewy texture. When I learned  how healthy it is , my crush evolved to full-out love. Sushi Pure's Spicy Tuna Roll (photo from FoodSpotting.com) In my ongoing research for ingredients that are low in calories but high in nutrition, adzuki (also spelled azuki) beans came up. I learned that these are the sweet red beans used in Japanese desserts, including red bean ice cream, which I've been obsessed with since I was a kid. But since turning them into ice cream probably negates the health benef

Cambodian Lemongrass Stir-Fry

  I recommend going heavy on the peanuts I recently finally branched out and tried something new at  Angkor Cambodian Restaurant , and now I'll never branch out ever again because my new favorite dish is too good. They call it Cha Krung, though I've seen a lot of other spellings in my attempt to find recipes. It's a lemongrass stir-fry and they do it with green beans, carrot, onion, and jalapeno, with peanuts on top. The peanuts are amazing in this, but I also really love the way they stir-fry the jalapeno as a vegetable, by removing the seeds and veins and slicing it thin. In my version above I used what I had, which was broccoli, eggplant from the garden, thai chilies instead of the jalapeno (but I'm going to grow jalapenos next year for this purpose), and fresh basil since I found a lot of recipes calling for it. And tofu, though it sounds like chicken is most traditional. I was a bit discouraged when researching recipes because I would need to acquire fresh lemongra