Skip to main content

Soondubu Jigae

It is important that the zucchini gets mushy enough to go with the soft tofu.


I've been trying to branch out in the Asian soup department beyond my favorite doenjang jigae. I'm disappointed pretty much every time, because doenjang jigae is so delicious. But I've tried this a couple of times and I like it, and it fulfills a slightly different craving with the soft slurpable tofu. I don't think I've achieved maximum flavor yet, but I'm going to keep working at it.

I worked from this recipe from My Eclectic Bites. The original recipe is vegan, and I appreciate that it adds flavor without needing to touch dried anchovies or boil meat in it. I've made it once as written and once with a teaspoon or so of instant dashi granules added. It was definitely better with the dashi, so I'm including that below. Also, when I boiled some korean radish in it, that definitely improved the broth, so I added that below as well.

Other ideas for the future:
1) My gochugaru probably isn't great. I need to get a recommendation for a good brand next time.
2) There's a version on The Foodie Takes Flight that includes an option tablespoon of sake or mirin.
3) Maybe I need to get some soup soy sauce instead of just using regular old Kikkoman for everything. 
4) Food52 has a recipe that includes 2 tsp each of doenjang and gochujang. I held off on this because I intentionally wanted something more different from doenjang jigae, but I'm sure I would like it.
5) I could boil dried shiitakes in the broth. I do this with the doenjang jigae, and then remove them to cut them up and put them back in. I tried it once in this and I wasn't thrilled adding the chewy texture into the bowl of delightful mush, but I could always save the cooked mushrooms for something else?
6) Most recipes call for kimchi added. I like cold kimchi on the side, but I'm not into the flavor when it's cooked into my soup. But if by chance there is anyone reading this besides me, that's another idea.


The Recipe (for now) (serves 2):
2 green onions, sliced finely
1 tb vegetable oil
2 tsp gochugaru
1/4 c sliced onion
1 tb soy sauce
1 tsp oyster sauce
3/4 c water
1 tsp hondashi granules
1 piece kombu
1/4 c korean radish, sliced finely
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 package soft tofu
1/2 zucchini, sliced into thin half-moons
salt, to taste
sesame oil, to taste
rice, for serving
  • Place the white part of the green onion, the gochugaru, and the oil into an unheated pot. Turn on medium heat and stir until the gochugaru starts to bubble.
  • Add onion, and stir to cook until onion is softened.
  • Add soy sauce and oyster sauce, and stir.
  • Add water, kombu, dashi, radish, and garlic.
  • When it comes to a boil, add tofu. 
  • When it comes to a boil again, add zucchini and cover to cook for 5 minutes.
  • Season with salt if needed.
  • Top with a splash of sesame oil and the green part of the green onions.

The Verdict:
Will update when I finalize the recipe...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen renovation!

BEFORE: AFTER: Still to come: a beautiful new induction range and some wood shelving on the left side, above the backsplash. And maybe the shelving unit on the wall facing the cabinets should be green, but we're going to live with a while before making that decision.

Adzuki Beans with Black Rice

I hope I don't turn any readers away by featuring cilantro in my first photo. My current food obsession is black rice. I was first introduced to it at  Sushi Pure . It's purple when cooked, and I was completely smitten when purple sushi arrived at our table. I mean, purple sushi! It was like my birthday or something. Actually, it might have been my birthday, because I pretty much always have sushi on my birthday, but anyway. It's kind of sweet and has this great chewy texture. When I learned  how healthy it is , my crush evolved to full-out love. Sushi Pure's Spicy Tuna Roll (photo from FoodSpotting.com) In my ongoing research for ingredients that are low in calories but high in nutrition, adzuki (also spelled azuki) beans came up. I learned that these are the sweet red beans used in Japanese desserts, including red bean ice cream, which I've been obsessed with since I was a kid. But since turning them into ice cream probably negates the health benef

Cambodian Lemongrass Stir-Fry

  I recommend going heavy on the peanuts I recently finally branched out and tried something new at  Angkor Cambodian Restaurant , and now I'll never branch out ever again because my new favorite dish is too good. They call it Cha Krung, though I've seen a lot of other spellings in my attempt to find recipes. It's a lemongrass stir-fry and they do it with green beans, carrot, onion, and jalapeno, with peanuts on top. The peanuts are amazing in this, but I also really love the way they stir-fry the jalapeno as a vegetable, by removing the seeds and veins and slicing it thin. In my version above I used what I had, which was broccoli, eggplant from the garden, thai chilies instead of the jalapeno (but I'm going to grow jalapenos next year for this purpose), and fresh basil since I found a lot of recipes calling for it. And tofu, though it sounds like chicken is most traditional. I was a bit discouraged when researching recipes because I would need to acquire fresh lemongra