Skip to main content

Korean Radish Salad

Not green apples


The mu succeeded in the garden this fall, which means it's time to use them all up! I came across Maangchi's recipe for radish salad, and decided to make it as a topping for some rice bowls. It's delicious and easy, like a simpler version of the radish kimchi that I love so much. It's a perfect component of a rice bowl / bibimbap, or it would be good as a side dish on its own.

I made no changes except skipping the step of peeling the radish. Maybe I would be more inclined to do this with radishes from the store, as opposed to the garden.


The Recipe:
1 large korean radish, cut into matchsticks
1 tb kosher salt
2 cloves garlic, grated
1 stalk green onion, chopped
1 tb rice vinegar
2 tsp gochugaru
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
  • Mix radish and salt, and let sit for 5 minutes
  • Squeeze out excess liquid
  • Mix in remaining ingredients to the strained/squeezed radish

The Verdict:
Overall grade: A
Overall reason: Easy and delicious
Time to prepare: 15 minutes
Preschooler reaction: When faced with the task of eating ONE of the many vegetable options on his plate, he (eventually) chose this one.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen renovation!

BEFORE: AFTER: Still to come: a beautiful new induction range and some wood shelving on the left side, above the backsplash. And maybe the shelving unit on the wall facing the cabinets should be green, but we're going to live with a while before making that decision.

Cambodian Lemongrass Stir-Fry

  I recommend going heavy on the peanuts I recently finally branched out and tried something new at  Angkor Cambodian Restaurant , and now I'll never branch out ever again because my new favorite dish is too good. They call it Cha Krung, though I've seen a lot of other spellings in my attempt to find recipes. It's a lemongrass stir-fry and they do it with green beans, carrot, onion, and jalapeno, with peanuts on top. The peanuts are amazing in this, but I also really love the way they stir-fry the jalapeno as a vegetable, by removing the seeds and veins and slicing it thin. In my version above I used what I had, which was broccoli, eggplant from the garden, thai chilies instead of the jalapeno (but I'm going to grow jalapenos next year for this purpose), and fresh basil since I found a lot of recipes calling for it. And tofu, though it sounds like chicken is most traditional. I was a bit discouraged when researching recipes because I would need to acquire fresh lemongra

Adzuki Beans with Black Rice

I hope I don't turn any readers away by featuring cilantro in my first photo. My current food obsession is black rice. I was first introduced to it at  Sushi Pure . It's purple when cooked, and I was completely smitten when purple sushi arrived at our table. I mean, purple sushi! It was like my birthday or something. Actually, it might have been my birthday, because I pretty much always have sushi on my birthday, but anyway. It's kind of sweet and has this great chewy texture. When I learned  how healthy it is , my crush evolved to full-out love. Sushi Pure's Spicy Tuna Roll (photo from FoodSpotting.com) In my ongoing research for ingredients that are low in calories but high in nutrition, adzuki (also spelled azuki) beans came up. I learned that these are the sweet red beans used in Japanese desserts, including red bean ice cream, which I've been obsessed with since I was a kid. But since turning them into ice cream probably negates the health benef