Skip to main content

Crab Salad BLT

Jess added more bacon after I photographed his sandwich with this respectable amount.

Sad story: We recently went to Cornucopia, prepared to order our usual matching Crab Salad BLT's, and the menu looked suspiciously different. I opened it, which we never do, because we always order the same thing. I went straight to the sandwich section, with a sinking feeling in my stomach, and my fears were confirmed: No more Crab Salad BLT.

So, I have taken matters into my own hands. And I dare say, except for the lack of delicious crispy french fries and thoroughly buttered bread, my version is at least as good as the original inspiration.

I strongly recommend splurging on good crab for this sandwich. Fresh crab is expensive and sometimes hard to come by, but it really makes the difference in this sandwich. 

This sandwich showcased my very first ripe tomato of the season, as well as home-grown lettuce, shallots, and parsley. Now if only I could start raising dungeness crabs in the backyard...


The Recipe: (serves 2)
1/4 lb fresh dungeness crab
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp mayonnaise (I used Veganaise)
1 small shallot, minced
salt and pepper, to taste
4 slices thick-cut bacon, cooked
2 rolls (I used ciabatta)
4 slices tomato, seasoned with sea salt
2-4 lettuce leaves
  • Mix crab, lemon juice, mayonnaise, shallot, salt, and pepper.
  • On each roll, layer: lettuce, crab salad, tomatoes, and bacon.

The Verdict:
Overall grade: A
Overall reason: Best flavor combination ever. Too expensive for an A+.
Time to prepare: 1 hour, including cooking bacon
Husband quote: "Good crab." (While using his finger to lick the leftover crab juices from his empty plate.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen renovation!

BEFORE: AFTER: Still to come: a beautiful new induction range and some wood shelving on the left side, above the backsplash. And maybe the shelving unit on the wall facing the cabinets should be green, but we're going to live with a while before making that decision.

Adzuki Beans with Black Rice

I hope I don't turn any readers away by featuring cilantro in my first photo. My current food obsession is black rice. I was first introduced to it at  Sushi Pure . It's purple when cooked, and I was completely smitten when purple sushi arrived at our table. I mean, purple sushi! It was like my birthday or something. Actually, it might have been my birthday, because I pretty much always have sushi on my birthday, but anyway. It's kind of sweet and has this great chewy texture. When I learned  how healthy it is , my crush evolved to full-out love. Sushi Pure's Spicy Tuna Roll (photo from FoodSpotting.com) In my ongoing research for ingredients that are low in calories but high in nutrition, adzuki (also spelled azuki) beans came up. I learned that these are the sweet red beans used in Japanese desserts, including red bean ice cream, which I've been obsessed with since I was a kid. But since turning them into ice cream probably negates the health benef

Cambodian Lemongrass Stir-Fry

  I recommend going heavy on the peanuts I recently finally branched out and tried something new at  Angkor Cambodian Restaurant , and now I'll never branch out ever again because my new favorite dish is too good. They call it Cha Krung, though I've seen a lot of other spellings in my attempt to find recipes. It's a lemongrass stir-fry and they do it with green beans, carrot, onion, and jalapeno, with peanuts on top. The peanuts are amazing in this, but I also really love the way they stir-fry the jalapeno as a vegetable, by removing the seeds and veins and slicing it thin. In my version above I used what I had, which was broccoli, eggplant from the garden, thai chilies instead of the jalapeno (but I'm going to grow jalapenos next year for this purpose), and fresh basil since I found a lot of recipes calling for it. And tofu, though it sounds like chicken is most traditional. I was a bit discouraged when researching recipes because I would need to acquire fresh lemongra