Skip to main content

Lentil Nut-Butter Brownies

Looks like a brownie, tastes like a brownie, feels better than eating a brownie.

As with this farro salad, this recipe was inspired by a trip to the fabulous Camas Country Mill
We went for sandwiches, bought bread and a scone for a treat, and then I was lured by a cute little jar of lentil brownie bites, so we got one of those too. It was delicious, and so I came home to do some googling. The result was this recipe from Vegan Richa, which doesn't taste exactly like the one I had at the mill, but it's nearly as delicious and perfectly easy to make.

If I didn't have an Instant Pot, I don't think I would have bothered. I've never been successful cooking lentils on the stove top without it bubbling over and making a mess at some point in the cooking process, and also I wasn't excited about having to dirty two pots and a food processor. But lentils are so easy in the instant pot, and after 2 minutes of cooking, they were easy enough to mash that I didn't have to bother with the food processor at all. I then added the other ingredients directly to the Instant Pot pot, so the only dishes I used were that and a small saucepan for the maple syrup mixture.

These taste great, and I love that they have a slightly more substantial texture than a typical brownie. They're almost fudgy. The level of sweetness is perfect, too. And yes, they still have sugar and chocolate, but I don't feel bad after I eat them. The protein boost is great.

Usually I prefer center-cut brownies, not edges, but with this recipe I really like the crispy edges. I'm not sure why that is. So, I might experiment with cooking them a bit longer. The original recipe also recommends using sunflower seed butter and using a bit more to get the brownies more crispy, so I'll try that sometime.


The Recipe: (from Vegan Richa, modified to use Instant Pot)
1/2 c red lentils
3 tb canola oil
3 tb maple syrup
1/2 chocolate chips (vegan if desired), plus more for topping
4 tb sugar
1/3 c cashew butter or other nut butter
1.5 tsp vanilla extract
1/4c flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tb cocoa powder

  • Cook lentils in Instant Pot: Rinse lentils, add to instant pot with 1.2 c water, and pressure cook on high for 2 minutes. Natural release.
  • With a fork, stir and mash the lentils until they are broken down into a fairly uniform paste.
  • Heat maple syrup and oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat and immediately stir in sugar and chocolate chips.
  • Add maple syrup mixture to the pot with the lentils. Add remaining ingredients and stir.
  • Pour into a 9 x 9 baking pan and top with extra chocolate chips, slightly pressing them down into the batter.
  • Bake at 350 for about 35 minutes. 
  • Cool before serving. These taste even better the next day.

The Verdict:
Overall grade: A
Overall reason: Good brownies that aren't terrible for you! And they're easy.
Time to prepare: 1 hour, including baking time
5-year-old quote: "Can we make brownies? Those kind of brownies that you make that no one else makes?"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen renovation!

BEFORE: AFTER: Still to come: a beautiful new induction range and some wood shelving on the left side, above the backsplash. And maybe the shelving unit on the wall facing the cabinets should be green, but we're going to live with a while before making that decision.

Adzuki Beans with Black Rice

I hope I don't turn any readers away by featuring cilantro in my first photo. My current food obsession is black rice. I was first introduced to it at  Sushi Pure . It's purple when cooked, and I was completely smitten when purple sushi arrived at our table. I mean, purple sushi! It was like my birthday or something. Actually, it might have been my birthday, because I pretty much always have sushi on my birthday, but anyway. It's kind of sweet and has this great chewy texture. When I learned  how healthy it is , my crush evolved to full-out love. Sushi Pure's Spicy Tuna Roll (photo from FoodSpotting.com) In my ongoing research for ingredients that are low in calories but high in nutrition, adzuki (also spelled azuki) beans came up. I learned that these are the sweet red beans used in Japanese desserts, including red bean ice cream, which I've been obsessed with since I was a kid. But since turning them into ice cream probably negates the health benef

Cambodian Lemongrass Stir-Fry

  I recommend going heavy on the peanuts I recently finally branched out and tried something new at  Angkor Cambodian Restaurant , and now I'll never branch out ever again because my new favorite dish is too good. They call it Cha Krung, though I've seen a lot of other spellings in my attempt to find recipes. It's a lemongrass stir-fry and they do it with green beans, carrot, onion, and jalapeno, with peanuts on top. The peanuts are amazing in this, but I also really love the way they stir-fry the jalapeno as a vegetable, by removing the seeds and veins and slicing it thin. In my version above I used what I had, which was broccoli, eggplant from the garden, thai chilies instead of the jalapeno (but I'm going to grow jalapenos next year for this purpose), and fresh basil since I found a lot of recipes calling for it. And tofu, though it sounds like chicken is most traditional. I was a bit discouraged when researching recipes because I would need to acquire fresh lemongra