Skip to main content

Lentils with Swiss Chard and Feta

Steamy

This time of year, my 6 swiss chard plants are yielding a full bunch of chard every few days. I've been making lots of spinach recipes and subbing chard, and serving assorted things with a side of chard, but it's exciting when I find an actual chard recipe that I want to try. 

This recipe for Swiss Chard with Lentils and Feta came up in my Pinterest feed, and I'm actually pretty sure that I tried it once before, but I decided to try it again because I couldn't remember whether I liked it. (This is why I keep track of recipes on this blog.) Having now made it and enjoyed it, I think that I did in fact make it before but I executed it better this time, elevating it to a status worthy of saving on the blog.

One change that I unintentionally made is that after realizing my only onion was rotten, I substituted green onions. The original recipe said to saute the onions and cook them with the lentils, so I did that with about 1/3 of the green onions (the whitest parts) and just stirred in the rest at the end. This double-layer of green onion added really great depth and also some much-needed crunch from the fresh ones, so I'm keeping it.

I also prepared the lentils in the Instant Pot, and I'm sure they came out with better texture (and less boiled-over mess) than when I made them in a pot before.

I served it with this crusty bread, and it was perfect together, but it's also good enough to eat without bread.


The Recipe: (adapted from Chowhound)
2 tb olive oil
1/2 bunch green onions, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 c dried brown lentils
2 c water
1 bunch swiss chard, chopped
4 tsp red wine vinegar
1/2 c feta cheese, cut into small cubes
salt and pepper to taste
  • Preferably in the instant pot: Saute the garlic with the whitest parts of the green onions (about 1/3 of the green onions) in 1 tb olive oil. Add lentils and water and pressure cook for 15 minutes. Natural release.
  • In a large saucepan, saute the chard in 1 tb of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. 
  • Add the cooked lentil mixture. Mix in vinegar, salt, and pepper. This mixture can be set aside and kept warm or refrigerated and reheated later.
  • When ready to serve, toss in the remaining green onions and the feta cheese.

The Verdict:
Overall grade: B+
Overall reason: It gets two pots dirty (or instant pot + pot) and it's not the type of food I often crave, but it is really delicious and healthy.
Time to prepare: 1 hour
Husband quote: "I like the cheese. It's a salty cheese."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen renovation!

BEFORE: AFTER: Still to come: a beautiful new induction range and some wood shelving on the left side, above the backsplash. And maybe the shelving unit on the wall facing the cabinets should be green, but we're going to live with a while before making that decision.

Adzuki Beans with Black Rice

I hope I don't turn any readers away by featuring cilantro in my first photo. My current food obsession is black rice. I was first introduced to it at  Sushi Pure . It's purple when cooked, and I was completely smitten when purple sushi arrived at our table. I mean, purple sushi! It was like my birthday or something. Actually, it might have been my birthday, because I pretty much always have sushi on my birthday, but anyway. It's kind of sweet and has this great chewy texture. When I learned  how healthy it is , my crush evolved to full-out love. Sushi Pure's Spicy Tuna Roll (photo from FoodSpotting.com) In my ongoing research for ingredients that are low in calories but high in nutrition, adzuki (also spelled azuki) beans came up. I learned that these are the sweet red beans used in Japanese desserts, including red bean ice cream, which I've been obsessed with since I was a kid. But since turning them into ice cream probably negates the health benef

Cambodian Lemongrass Stir-Fry

  I recommend going heavy on the peanuts I recently finally branched out and tried something new at  Angkor Cambodian Restaurant , and now I'll never branch out ever again because my new favorite dish is too good. They call it Cha Krung, though I've seen a lot of other spellings in my attempt to find recipes. It's a lemongrass stir-fry and they do it with green beans, carrot, onion, and jalapeno, with peanuts on top. The peanuts are amazing in this, but I also really love the way they stir-fry the jalapeno as a vegetable, by removing the seeds and veins and slicing it thin. In my version above I used what I had, which was broccoli, eggplant from the garden, thai chilies instead of the jalapeno (but I'm going to grow jalapenos next year for this purpose), and fresh basil since I found a lot of recipes calling for it. And tofu, though it sounds like chicken is most traditional. I was a bit discouraged when researching recipes because I would need to acquire fresh lemongra