Skip to main content

Japanese Hot Pot / Oden


Since the rest of the family doesn't share my desire to eat Korean stew every day, I've been wanting to try a Japanese-type stew as a compromise. I got excited when I read this Oden recipe from Just One Cookbook, because the broth and method seemed to match what I was looking for. I've made it twice so far: once with the traditional fish cakes and hard boiled eggs, and once just with tofu and vegetables.

I kept the original recipe's instructions for the broth, and I also kept their additions of daikon radish (because I still have about 15 in the ground from this fall's garden), kombu, and green onion. To that, I added some shredded cabbage, sliced zucchini, and soft tofu in the one without fish cakes, all of which makes it feel a bit more like the Korean stews that I crave. The full array of fish cakes was a bit too much for me, but I think it would be perfect to have just one small package of fish cakes together with tofu and vegetables. The eggs were really good in this, too.

I'm excited to experiment with more variations on this one. 

The Recipe:
Broth:
4 c dashi broth
3 tb soy sauce
1 tb sake
1/2 tb mirin
1/2 tb sugar
pinch of salt

Additions:
1 medium-small daikon radish, sliced into half moons
1 small piece kombu
2 green onions, sliced
other vegetables: cabbage, zucchini, other?
protein: fish cakes, tofu, and/or hard boiled eggs
Rice, for serving

  • Place broth ingredients, kombu, and sliced radish in pot. Bring to boil, then simmer covered on low for 30 minutes.
  • If using deep-fried fish cakes or tofu, boil these separately for 1 minute to remove some of the oil, then drain.
  • Add green onions, fish cake, tofu, and eggs. Simmer covered on low for another 30 minutes.
  • Turn off heat and let rest for 1 hour, or let it cool and put it in the refrigerator overnight.
  • Reheat for 15 minutes, adding the remaining vegetables a few minutes before serving.
  • Serve with a side of rice.

The Verdict:
Overall grade: A-
Overall reason: Easy, healthy, versatile. Good flavor but not as interesting as Korean stews.
Time to prepare: 15 minutes of work, but 90 minutes of cooking and an hour of cooling in between.
Toddler quote: "RICE CAKE!?" "No, fish cake." "Fish cake." (30 seconds later...) "RICE CAKE!?"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen renovation!

BEFORE: AFTER: Still to come: a beautiful new induction range and some wood shelving on the left side, above the backsplash. And maybe the shelving unit on the wall facing the cabinets should be green, but we're going to live with a while before making that decision.

Adzuki Beans with Black Rice

I hope I don't turn any readers away by featuring cilantro in my first photo. My current food obsession is black rice. I was first introduced to it at  Sushi Pure . It's purple when cooked, and I was completely smitten when purple sushi arrived at our table. I mean, purple sushi! It was like my birthday or something. Actually, it might have been my birthday, because I pretty much always have sushi on my birthday, but anyway. It's kind of sweet and has this great chewy texture. When I learned  how healthy it is , my crush evolved to full-out love. Sushi Pure's Spicy Tuna Roll (photo from FoodSpotting.com) In my ongoing research for ingredients that are low in calories but high in nutrition, adzuki (also spelled azuki) beans came up. I learned that these are the sweet red beans used in Japanese desserts, including red bean ice cream, which I've been obsessed with since I was a kid. But since turning them into ice cream probably negates the health benef

Cambodian Lemongrass Stir-Fry

  I recommend going heavy on the peanuts I recently finally branched out and tried something new at  Angkor Cambodian Restaurant , and now I'll never branch out ever again because my new favorite dish is too good. They call it Cha Krung, though I've seen a lot of other spellings in my attempt to find recipes. It's a lemongrass stir-fry and they do it with green beans, carrot, onion, and jalapeno, with peanuts on top. The peanuts are amazing in this, but I also really love the way they stir-fry the jalapeno as a vegetable, by removing the seeds and veins and slicing it thin. In my version above I used what I had, which was broccoli, eggplant from the garden, thai chilies instead of the jalapeno (but I'm going to grow jalapenos next year for this purpose), and fresh basil since I found a lot of recipes calling for it. And tofu, though it sounds like chicken is most traditional. I was a bit discouraged when researching recipes because I would need to acquire fresh lemongra