Skip to main content

Khao Soi

I want to find crispy noodles that add height, just for aesthetics.


This one borders on being too much work, especially when I make one pot with coconut milk and another pot with oat milk so I can eat it (and another pot to boil the rice noodles, and a baking sheet for the tofu). But it's very delicious, and it makes enough broth for to save for a second dinner (4-6 servings total).

I used this Prik-King curry paste and the flavor is so good. I'll only experiment with other curry pastes if I can't find this one again.

I worked from this recipe from Feasting at Home. I made no changes aside from adding a thai chili, substituting oat milk for coconut milk in my serving, and skipping the kefir lime leaves because I couldn't find any.


The Recipe:
4 oz rice noodles, boiled according to package
1 large shallot or 1/2 onion, sliced
2 tb chopped lemongrass (I used a tube of lemongrass paste)
1 thai chili, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tb Thai red curry paste
1/2 tsp turmeric
pinch cardamom
14 oz coconut milk (or sub oat milk)
1 c vegetable broth
1 red bell pepper, sliced thin
2 tb fish sauce
2 tb soy sauce
2 tb brown sugar
1 tb chili-garlic sauce
8-12 oz protein (I like crispy tofu)
1 lime, cut into wedges
For garnish: basil, cilantro, crispy noodles, lime wedges, raw onion
For adding in the future if I can find them: 4-6 kefir lime leaves added with the coconut milk and broth, and pickled mustard seeds for garnish
  • In a medium pot over medium heat, stir-fry the shallot/onion, lemongrass, and thai chili for about 3 minutes. 
  • Add garlic and saute for another minute.
  • Add curry paste, turmeric, and cardamom, and saute for another 1-2 minutes.
  • Add the coconut milk and vegetable broth, and bring to a simmer. 
  • Add the bell pepper, fish sauce, sugar, soy sauce, and chili garlic paste.
  • If cooking the protein directly in the soup (like shrimp or chicken), add it now and cook until the protein is cooked through.
  • Serve broth with cooked noodles, and top with garnishes.

The Verdict:
Overall grade: A
Overall reason: Healthy and delicious
Time to prepare: 1 hour
Husband quote: "It's really good. It's coconutty and spicy. But there's probably some pun about cows."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen renovation!

BEFORE: AFTER: Still to come: a beautiful new induction range and some wood shelving on the left side, above the backsplash. And maybe the shelving unit on the wall facing the cabinets should be green, but we're going to live with a while before making that decision.

Cambodian Lemongrass Stir-Fry

  I recommend going heavy on the peanuts I recently finally branched out and tried something new at  Angkor Cambodian Restaurant , and now I'll never branch out ever again because my new favorite dish is too good. They call it Cha Krung, though I've seen a lot of other spellings in my attempt to find recipes. It's a lemongrass stir-fry and they do it with green beans, carrot, onion, and jalapeno, with peanuts on top. The peanuts are amazing in this, but I also really love the way they stir-fry the jalapeno as a vegetable, by removing the seeds and veins and slicing it thin. In my version above I used what I had, which was broccoli, eggplant from the garden, thai chilies instead of the jalapeno (but I'm going to grow jalapenos next year for this purpose), and fresh basil since I found a lot of recipes calling for it. And tofu, though it sounds like chicken is most traditional. I was a bit discouraged when researching recipes because I would need to acquire fresh lemongra

Adzuki Beans with Black Rice

I hope I don't turn any readers away by featuring cilantro in my first photo. My current food obsession is black rice. I was first introduced to it at  Sushi Pure . It's purple when cooked, and I was completely smitten when purple sushi arrived at our table. I mean, purple sushi! It was like my birthday or something. Actually, it might have been my birthday, because I pretty much always have sushi on my birthday, but anyway. It's kind of sweet and has this great chewy texture. When I learned  how healthy it is , my crush evolved to full-out love. Sushi Pure's Spicy Tuna Roll (photo from FoodSpotting.com) In my ongoing research for ingredients that are low in calories but high in nutrition, adzuki (also spelled azuki) beans came up. I learned that these are the sweet red beans used in Japanese desserts, including red bean ice cream, which I've been obsessed with since I was a kid. But since turning them into ice cream probably negates the health benef