Skip to main content

Lemongrass Fried Rice

Photo of the leftovers instead of the fresh meal, because at the time of serving I did not expect it to be blog-worthy. But it is! Yum.


I had a tube of lemongrass paste and leftover cooked rice, so I went searching for a lemongrass fried rice recipe. What I found was many variations on stir-frying the lemongrass with aromatics, adding the rice/vegetables/protein etc, and finishing it with fish sauce, sugar, salt, and pepper. So that's what I did! I currently have an abundance of thai chilies from the garden, so that went into the aromatics, and I wouldn't skip this in the future.


The Recipe
2 tb lemongrass paste (or work from fresh lemongrass for more work and more flavor)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 thai chilies, minced
1 tb ginger, grated
1/2 onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
4 c cooked and cooled rice (next day is best) - I had calrose but I think Jasmine would be even better
2 c shelled edamame, boiled for 4 minutes
2 eggs, beaten and scrambled
fish sauce to taste
sugar to taste
salt and pepper to taste
  • In a wok over medium-high heat, add a splash of avocado oil, lemongrass, garlic, chilies, and ginger
  • After 30 seconds, add onion and carrots
  • Saute for about 2 minutes until onion and carrots begin to soften
  • Add rice and saute, breaking up the rice, for about 4 minutes
  • Fold in the cooked edamame and eggs
  • Add fish sauce, sugar, salt, and pepper to taste. I think I used about 2 tsp of fish sauce, 2 tb sugar, and a pinch of salt and pepper.

The Verdict:
Overall grade: A
Overall reason: Great balance of spicy and salty and sweet
Time to prepare: 20 minutes
Preschooler quote: "Yum! This is good food that you made, mommy!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen renovation!

BEFORE: AFTER: Still to come: a beautiful new induction range and some wood shelving on the left side, above the backsplash. And maybe the shelving unit on the wall facing the cabinets should be green, but we're going to live with a while before making that decision.

Cambodian Lemongrass Stir-Fry

  I recommend going heavy on the peanuts I recently finally branched out and tried something new at  Angkor Cambodian Restaurant , and now I'll never branch out ever again because my new favorite dish is too good. They call it Cha Krung, though I've seen a lot of other spellings in my attempt to find recipes. It's a lemongrass stir-fry and they do it with green beans, carrot, onion, and jalapeno, with peanuts on top. The peanuts are amazing in this, but I also really love the way they stir-fry the jalapeno as a vegetable, by removing the seeds and veins and slicing it thin. In my version above I used what I had, which was broccoli, eggplant from the garden, thai chilies instead of the jalapeno (but I'm going to grow jalapenos next year for this purpose), and fresh basil since I found a lot of recipes calling for it. And tofu, though it sounds like chicken is most traditional. I was a bit discouraged when researching recipes because I would need to acquire fresh lemongra

Adzuki Beans with Black Rice

I hope I don't turn any readers away by featuring cilantro in my first photo. My current food obsession is black rice. I was first introduced to it at  Sushi Pure . It's purple when cooked, and I was completely smitten when purple sushi arrived at our table. I mean, purple sushi! It was like my birthday or something. Actually, it might have been my birthday, because I pretty much always have sushi on my birthday, but anyway. It's kind of sweet and has this great chewy texture. When I learned  how healthy it is , my crush evolved to full-out love. Sushi Pure's Spicy Tuna Roll (photo from FoodSpotting.com) In my ongoing research for ingredients that are low in calories but high in nutrition, adzuki (also spelled azuki) beans came up. I learned that these are the sweet red beans used in Japanese desserts, including red bean ice cream, which I've been obsessed with since I was a kid. But since turning them into ice cream probably negates the health benef