Skip to main content

Crab cakes with honey-mustard sauce

You could play the "what does it look like" game with these if there are no clouds in the sky.

For seafood recipes, I generally turn to either Emeril or Ina Garten. Ina wins this one. I use her recipe for crab cakes with very few changes: yogurt instead of mayonnaise, panko instead of bread crumbs, and I bake them instead of frying.

What I love most about this recipe is that it's about 50% vegetables. Combine that with baking them, and I'd dare say they're healthy.

Ina's recipes often specify that your ingredients should be good... like "1/2 cup good mayonnnaise." On that topic, this recipe is definitely best with good, fresh crab. But it also works with canned. If you do get canned, try to find a brand that has lumps. Trader Joe's has good, lumpy, canned crab.

And on the topic of lumpiness, there's a spectrum in crab-cake-making regarding how small you chop the vegetables. One one end is very lumpy, with all of the ingredients remaining visible, which looks and tastes great but takes some skill to get the cakes to bind together. On the other end, the ingredients are all tiny and well-combined, and it's incredibly easy to form a solid cake that will withstand flipping and serving. Choose your lumpiness level accordingly.

Pretty low on the lumpiness scale today.


The final mixture. Will taste SO much better than it looks.


These crab cakes were to be appetizers before Christmas Eve fondue at my mother-in-law's house. So, I leaned a non-dairy dipping sauce. Honey mustard was great.

Also good on ham sandwiches, rumor has it.

The Recipe:
2 tb butter
2 tb olive oil
1 red onion, minced
4 stalks celery, minced
2 red/yellow/orange bell peppers, minced
1/4 c flat-leaf parsley, minced
1 tb capers, minced
1/2 tsp hot sauce
1/2 tsp Worscestershire sauce
1 1/2 tsp cajun seasoning
1/2 tsp salt (unless your cajun seasoning has salt)
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 lb crab meat
1/2 c panko bread crumbs
1/2 c plain yogurt
2 tsp dijon mustard
2 eggs, beaten
cooking spray

  • In the butter and olive oil, saute the onion, celery, bell peppers, parsley, capers, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, cajun seasoning, salt, and pepper over medium-low heat for approximately 15 minutes, until vegetables are soft.
  • Cool to room temperature
  • Add remaining ingredients and mix well
  • Refrigerate the mixture for 30 minutes
  • Prepare two baking sheets with cooking spray. Form small cakes with the batter (the smaller, the easier to flip). Spray a small amount of baking spray on top of the cakes to help them brown.
  • Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes, flipping after 15.
Honey-mustard sauce:
1 part mustard
1 part honey
1 part olive oil
1/2 part cider vinegar
  • Mix all ingredients. That's it.

The Verdict:
Overall grade: A-
Overall reason: I'm a sucker for recipes that sneak so many vegetables in.
Time to prepare: 2 hours, including cooling and cooking times
Husband quote: "These are the best crab cakes you've made." (I've made the same recipe the last 4-ish times, and he says this every time.)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen renovation!

BEFORE: AFTER: Still to come: a beautiful new induction range and some wood shelving on the left side, above the backsplash. And maybe the shelving unit on the wall facing the cabinets should be green, but we're going to live with a while before making that decision.

Adzuki Beans with Black Rice

I hope I don't turn any readers away by featuring cilantro in my first photo. My current food obsession is black rice. I was first introduced to it at  Sushi Pure . It's purple when cooked, and I was completely smitten when purple sushi arrived at our table. I mean, purple sushi! It was like my birthday or something. Actually, it might have been my birthday, because I pretty much always have sushi on my birthday, but anyway. It's kind of sweet and has this great chewy texture. When I learned  how healthy it is , my crush evolved to full-out love. Sushi Pure's Spicy Tuna Roll (photo from FoodSpotting.com) In my ongoing research for ingredients that are low in calories but high in nutrition, adzuki (also spelled azuki) beans came up. I learned that these are the sweet red beans used in Japanese desserts, including red bean ice cream, which I've been obsessed with since I was a kid. But since turning them into ice cream probably negates the health benef

Cambodian Lemongrass Stir-Fry

  I recommend going heavy on the peanuts I recently finally branched out and tried something new at  Angkor Cambodian Restaurant , and now I'll never branch out ever again because my new favorite dish is too good. They call it Cha Krung, though I've seen a lot of other spellings in my attempt to find recipes. It's a lemongrass stir-fry and they do it with green beans, carrot, onion, and jalapeno, with peanuts on top. The peanuts are amazing in this, but I also really love the way they stir-fry the jalapeno as a vegetable, by removing the seeds and veins and slicing it thin. In my version above I used what I had, which was broccoli, eggplant from the garden, thai chilies instead of the jalapeno (but I'm going to grow jalapenos next year for this purpose), and fresh basil since I found a lot of recipes calling for it. And tofu, though it sounds like chicken is most traditional. I was a bit discouraged when researching recipes because I would need to acquire fresh lemongra