Skip to main content

Japanese Salmon

The key to Jess's heart.

If I ask Jess what he wants for dinner, this is what he requests. It's his favorite birthday dinner, anniversary dinner, weekend dinner, weekday dinner, and on the rare occasion that there's been leftovers, it's his favorite breakfast or lunch the next day. 

Our host mother in Japan prepared super-salty salmon with breakfast every day. I think it was probably belly salmon (our mediocre communication skills did not let us learn what part of the salmon it was), and she either broiled it or cooked it in a very hot pan on the stove. When we got back home, I set out to make something similar. I ended up working from this recipe, which I've modified only slightly over time.

This recipe is definitely salty, which we like, and it also overcooks the salmon a bit. It's like 1/50th the way toward salmon jerky. If you like your salmon moist and and subtly seasoned, this is not your dish. 

There should be a visible amount of salt.

The first, important step, is to draw some moisture out of the salmon by salting both sides and letting it sit out for 10 minutes. Then, you pat both sides very dry with a paper towel before cooking it at extremely high heat. That way, you can get a really good sear.

Very hot pan and oil. Don't wear your fancy clothes.

During college (and for some years afterward), my favorite restaurant was Pho Grand in St. Louis. I always got the Cari Tom, despite how good their pho was, and this was 90% because of these mysterious delicious sweet crunchy things that they put on top of the shrimp. Over different visits, I think I asked 4 different servers what the garnish was. Three said they didn't know and one thought it was some kind of fried seafood. Were they protecting their secret? Years later, I had fried shallots and instantly knew that I had discovered the mystery garnish. It makes everything better. But if you don't have a shallot handy, green onions are really good in this recipe too.

My favorite topping for all things remotely Asian.


The Recipe:
2 salmon filets
1 tb sesame oil
1 tb vegetable oil
2 tb rice vinegar
2 tb sake (I've also used red wine in a pinch, and it works)
1 tb soy sauce
1 shallot or 2 green onions, sliced
  • Generously salt both sides of the salmon filets. Leave the salted salmon out at room temperature for 10 minutes.
  • Thoroughly dry both sides of the salmon with a paper towel.
  • Combine the two oils in a pan and bring to high heat.
  • Place the salmon skin side down in the pan and cook for about 4 minutes.
  • Turn the salmon over. If you do not want to eat the skin, it is easy to peel off at this point. Cook on the second side for about 3 minutes.
  • If you peeled off the salmon skin, flip again and cook for about a minute to brown the side where the skin used to be.
  • Move the salmon to a plate. Pour the sake, vinegar, and soy sauce into the pan and scrape any salmon bits off the bottom of the pan.
  • Add the shallot or green onions to the pan and cook for 1 minute. (Alternatively, if you want the shallot very crispy, fry it separately in vegetable oil.)
  • Return the salmon to the pan with the sauce and turn the heat down to medium-low. Spoon some of the sauce over the salmon and let it warm through for about 3 minutes.
  • Serve over rice.

The Verdict:
Overall grade: A+
Overall reason: Addictively delicious and reminiscent of things we ate in Japan
Time to prepare: 20 minutes
Husband quote: "If you could only make one meal, it should be this."

Comments

  1. Hi Amy, I came to check out your recipe index and it looks great! I couldn't resist commenting on this salmon though. It sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen renovation!

BEFORE: AFTER: Still to come: a beautiful new induction range and some wood shelving on the left side, above the backsplash. And maybe the shelving unit on the wall facing the cabinets should be green, but we're going to live with a while before making that decision.

Adzuki Beans with Black Rice

I hope I don't turn any readers away by featuring cilantro in my first photo. My current food obsession is black rice. I was first introduced to it at  Sushi Pure . It's purple when cooked, and I was completely smitten when purple sushi arrived at our table. I mean, purple sushi! It was like my birthday or something. Actually, it might have been my birthday, because I pretty much always have sushi on my birthday, but anyway. It's kind of sweet and has this great chewy texture. When I learned  how healthy it is , my crush evolved to full-out love. Sushi Pure's Spicy Tuna Roll (photo from FoodSpotting.com) In my ongoing research for ingredients that are low in calories but high in nutrition, adzuki (also spelled azuki) beans came up. I learned that these are the sweet red beans used in Japanese desserts, including red bean ice cream, which I've been obsessed with since I was a kid. But since turning them into ice cream probably negates the health benef

Cambodian Lemongrass Stir-Fry

  I recommend going heavy on the peanuts I recently finally branched out and tried something new at  Angkor Cambodian Restaurant , and now I'll never branch out ever again because my new favorite dish is too good. They call it Cha Krung, though I've seen a lot of other spellings in my attempt to find recipes. It's a lemongrass stir-fry and they do it with green beans, carrot, onion, and jalapeno, with peanuts on top. The peanuts are amazing in this, but I also really love the way they stir-fry the jalapeno as a vegetable, by removing the seeds and veins and slicing it thin. In my version above I used what I had, which was broccoli, eggplant from the garden, thai chilies instead of the jalapeno (but I'm going to grow jalapenos next year for this purpose), and fresh basil since I found a lot of recipes calling for it. And tofu, though it sounds like chicken is most traditional. I was a bit discouraged when researching recipes because I would need to acquire fresh lemongra