Skip to main content

Steamed Red Bean Buns

Success.

For some time, I've been wanting to try my hand at Chinese steamed buns. I love them, and I haven't found a reliable source for them in Eugene besides the frozen ones at the Asian market. And so, a winter break project was formed.

Sticky dough! I triple-checked the recipe to make sure I didn't miss some flour.

After rising and kneading with a bit more flour, it became a respectable dough consistency.

The red bean paste that I used as filling, anko, can be purchased at Asian markets. But it was so easy to make, and I was able to control the amount of sugar. Here's how I made the anko. You could also fill these with pork, or vegetables, or shoelaces and cat fur, and it would be delicious.

I didn't research the right way to form the buns with the anko, so maybe there's a better way. What I did was form the dough into a small disk, put a spoonful of anko in the center, pull the dough up to seal it, and then place it with the seal side down (on a floured surface!).

It was handy that Jess had decided to watch this part, because I couldn't have gotten this photo alone.

See that closest one? The pretty one under which I forgot to put flour? It didn't stay so pretty.

Ready to steam atop the pasta pot and make the house smell amazing.


The Recipe:
1 tb yeast
1 tsp sugar
1/4 c flour
1/4 c water

1/2 c water
1 1/2 c flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 tb sugar
1 tb vegetable oil
1/2 tsp baking powder

Anko or other filling
  • Mix first 4 ingredients. Leave to stand 30 minutes.
  • Add remaining ingredients except baking powder. Knead the sticky dough until smooth and elastic (but still sticky), place in a greased bowl, and leave to stand 2 1/2 hours or until tripled in size.
  • Punch down dough and spread out on a floured surface.
  • Sprinkle baking powder evenly over surface and knead for 5 minutes.
  • Form dough into balls (about 15), stuffing with anko or another filling.
  • Steam for 15 minutes. (Try not to allow water to drop on the top of the buns, which will cause hard yellow spots.)

The Verdict:
Overall grade: A+
Overall reason: Just like in the restaurants! So, so good.
Time to prepare: 1 hour, plus 90 minutes of waiting time.
Husband quote: Jumping up and down 6 times, landing on each word for emphasis: "Good! Job! Girl! Good! Job! Girl!"







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen renovation!

BEFORE: AFTER: Still to come: a beautiful new induction range and some wood shelving on the left side, above the backsplash. And maybe the shelving unit on the wall facing the cabinets should be green, but we're going to live with a while before making that decision.

Adzuki Beans with Black Rice

I hope I don't turn any readers away by featuring cilantro in my first photo. My current food obsession is black rice. I was first introduced to it at  Sushi Pure . It's purple when cooked, and I was completely smitten when purple sushi arrived at our table. I mean, purple sushi! It was like my birthday or something. Actually, it might have been my birthday, because I pretty much always have sushi on my birthday, but anyway. It's kind of sweet and has this great chewy texture. When I learned  how healthy it is , my crush evolved to full-out love. Sushi Pure's Spicy Tuna Roll (photo from FoodSpotting.com) In my ongoing research for ingredients that are low in calories but high in nutrition, adzuki (also spelled azuki) beans came up. I learned that these are the sweet red beans used in Japanese desserts, including red bean ice cream, which I've been obsessed with since I was a kid. But since turning them into ice cream probably negates the health benef

Cambodian Lemongrass Stir-Fry

  I recommend going heavy on the peanuts I recently finally branched out and tried something new at  Angkor Cambodian Restaurant , and now I'll never branch out ever again because my new favorite dish is too good. They call it Cha Krung, though I've seen a lot of other spellings in my attempt to find recipes. It's a lemongrass stir-fry and they do it with green beans, carrot, onion, and jalapeno, with peanuts on top. The peanuts are amazing in this, but I also really love the way they stir-fry the jalapeno as a vegetable, by removing the seeds and veins and slicing it thin. In my version above I used what I had, which was broccoli, eggplant from the garden, thai chilies instead of the jalapeno (but I'm going to grow jalapenos next year for this purpose), and fresh basil since I found a lot of recipes calling for it. And tofu, though it sounds like chicken is most traditional. I was a bit discouraged when researching recipes because I would need to acquire fresh lemongra