Skip to main content

Sekihan

Black sesame seeds. Not ants. I promise.


Sekihan is apparently made in Japan for celebrations, but we definitely had it when we were there for non-festive occasions such as "let's stop at this counter in the station and grab some food to eat on the train." It's sticky rice and adzuki beans with just a little bit of seasoning, and it's delicious.

Shortly after we came back from Japan, I made it for a potluck for Japanese middle school students who were visiting Oregon. They were tentatively walking through the line, looking timidly at the assortment of weird American foods (pizza, pasta, and salads) and passing by the sekihan until one of their chaperones pointed out what it was. Then they got really excited and started spooning it onto their plates alongside their pizza.

Serve this with something that has a bright, fresh flavor (as in, NOT pizza). Today, I served it with seaweed salad. That was perfect because we could also mix the seaweed into the rice as we ate.

I follow this recipe. I make no changes, because I wouldn't know what changes to make. I do think that one day I'll get brave enough to experiment, though, so stay tuned.

The hardest part: Remember to soak the beans overnight.

Red bean water dumped into the rice mixture.

Perfectly cooked in the rice cooker.


The Recipe:
1/2 c adzuki beans, soaked overnight
3 c sweet rice / sticky rice / glutinous rice / mochigome
1/2 c sushi rice
2 1/2 c water
1/2 tsp salt
gomashio or toasted black sesame seeds and additional salt, for seasoning
  • Cover beans with water in a small pot and bring to a boil.
  • Drain the water and replace it with 2 1/2 c of new water. Return to a boil, then simmer for about 30 minutes until beans are soft. 
  • Rinse rice and mix the two types of rice in a rice cooker.
  • Dump the soft beans WITH their cooking liquid (red water) into the rice cooker with the rice. Add salt and about 3/4 c more water, until you have the right amount of water for your rice cooker. 
  • Cook in rice cooker.
  • Sprinkle with gomashio or black sesame seeds and rice to serve.

The Verdict:
Overall grade: B+
Overall reason: It definitely needs something to perk it up, but it's a great meal component.
Time to prepare: 5 minutes of actual work, spread out over an hour (plus soaking overnight)
Husband quote: "Yum. Salty. Good."




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen renovation!

BEFORE: AFTER: Still to come: a beautiful new induction range and some wood shelving on the left side, above the backsplash. And maybe the shelving unit on the wall facing the cabinets should be green, but we're going to live with a while before making that decision.

Adzuki Beans with Black Rice

I hope I don't turn any readers away by featuring cilantro in my first photo. My current food obsession is black rice. I was first introduced to it at  Sushi Pure . It's purple when cooked, and I was completely smitten when purple sushi arrived at our table. I mean, purple sushi! It was like my birthday or something. Actually, it might have been my birthday, because I pretty much always have sushi on my birthday, but anyway. It's kind of sweet and has this great chewy texture. When I learned  how healthy it is , my crush evolved to full-out love. Sushi Pure's Spicy Tuna Roll (photo from FoodSpotting.com) In my ongoing research for ingredients that are low in calories but high in nutrition, adzuki (also spelled azuki) beans came up. I learned that these are the sweet red beans used in Japanese desserts, including red bean ice cream, which I've been obsessed with since I was a kid. But since turning them into ice cream probably negates the health benef

Cambodian Lemongrass Stir-Fry

  I recommend going heavy on the peanuts I recently finally branched out and tried something new at  Angkor Cambodian Restaurant , and now I'll never branch out ever again because my new favorite dish is too good. They call it Cha Krung, though I've seen a lot of other spellings in my attempt to find recipes. It's a lemongrass stir-fry and they do it with green beans, carrot, onion, and jalapeno, with peanuts on top. The peanuts are amazing in this, but I also really love the way they stir-fry the jalapeno as a vegetable, by removing the seeds and veins and slicing it thin. In my version above I used what I had, which was broccoli, eggplant from the garden, thai chilies instead of the jalapeno (but I'm going to grow jalapenos next year for this purpose), and fresh basil since I found a lot of recipes calling for it. And tofu, though it sounds like chicken is most traditional. I was a bit discouraged when researching recipes because I would need to acquire fresh lemongra