Skip to main content

Smoked Salmon / Goat Cheese Frittata

Caramelized smoked salmon. Need I say more?

It's hard to write out this recipe, because I rarely make it the same way twice. I use whatever vegetables I have, I change the ratio of egg-to-other-stuff to suit my whims, and I adjust the cooking methods accordingly. To summarize:

Definitely include:
-Smoked salmon (today I used garlic-pepper smoked salmon)
-Goat cheese
-Dill
-Egg

Optionally include:
-Caramelized onions
-Non-caramelized onions
-Spinach
-Asparagus if it's in season
-Shredded potatoes
-Some number of egg whites in place of some of the eggs

It's hard to go wrong here.

The only hard part of making frittatas, for me, is remember that after a frying pan comes out of the oven, the handle is hot. I always use my oven mitt to take it out of the oven, but after that moment, I REPEATEDLY forget that the metal handle can't just be grabbed as if it had been used on the stove top. One day I will learn.

All layered up, ready to bake.

Baked and broiled, ready to EAT.


The Recipe, as prepared today:
5 eggs
1 tb milk
pinch salt and pepper
6 oz smoked salmon, chopped
4 oz goat cheese, crumbled
1 tb dill
1/2 onion, sliced
1/2 bunch spinach (and/or other vegetables; see above), chopped
  • Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
  • Beat the eggs with the milk, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
  • Saute onions over medium-low heat for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until caramelized. (Use a frying pan that will be able to go into the oven - metal handle instead of rubber.)
  • Add spinach and stir until wilted.
  • Pour in the egg mixture.
  • Sprinkle with dill and goat cheese.
  • Turn off burner and move pan into a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes, until egg is set.
  • Turn the oven to broil and wait another 3-5 minutes, until top is browned.

The Verdict:
Overall grade: A+
Overall reason: Deliciously decadent and high in protein.
Time to prepare: 50 minutes (less if you don't caramelize the onions)
Husband quote: "YUM."




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen renovation!

BEFORE: AFTER: Still to come: a beautiful new induction range and some wood shelving on the left side, above the backsplash. And maybe the shelving unit on the wall facing the cabinets should be green, but we're going to live with a while before making that decision.

Adzuki Beans with Black Rice

I hope I don't turn any readers away by featuring cilantro in my first photo. My current food obsession is black rice. I was first introduced to it at  Sushi Pure . It's purple when cooked, and I was completely smitten when purple sushi arrived at our table. I mean, purple sushi! It was like my birthday or something. Actually, it might have been my birthday, because I pretty much always have sushi on my birthday, but anyway. It's kind of sweet and has this great chewy texture. When I learned  how healthy it is , my crush evolved to full-out love. Sushi Pure's Spicy Tuna Roll (photo from FoodSpotting.com) In my ongoing research for ingredients that are low in calories but high in nutrition, adzuki (also spelled azuki) beans came up. I learned that these are the sweet red beans used in Japanese desserts, including red bean ice cream, which I've been obsessed with since I was a kid. But since turning them into ice cream probably negates the health benef

Cambodian Lemongrass Stir-Fry

  I recommend going heavy on the peanuts I recently finally branched out and tried something new at  Angkor Cambodian Restaurant , and now I'll never branch out ever again because my new favorite dish is too good. They call it Cha Krung, though I've seen a lot of other spellings in my attempt to find recipes. It's a lemongrass stir-fry and they do it with green beans, carrot, onion, and jalapeno, with peanuts on top. The peanuts are amazing in this, but I also really love the way they stir-fry the jalapeno as a vegetable, by removing the seeds and veins and slicing it thin. In my version above I used what I had, which was broccoli, eggplant from the garden, thai chilies instead of the jalapeno (but I'm going to grow jalapenos next year for this purpose), and fresh basil since I found a lot of recipes calling for it. And tofu, though it sounds like chicken is most traditional. I was a bit discouraged when researching recipes because I would need to acquire fresh lemongra